Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #11 
royal

Good to know! Thanks!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #12 
Saphira101

Live daphnia helps mine to poop.. But you're fasting him, so that's a no-go.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #13 
breezywillow

Hey guys, dont mean to butt in on this thread but I saw the lump under the throat thing and I have noticed the same thing in my Weebles. I have had him for a little over a week now, two days ago I upgraded him to a 5 gallon with filter and got him a mystery snail buddy. He finally started eating two days ago, this is the first time since I have gotten him. Today I noticed he is staying near the top, right under the surface, kind of sitting on one of his plants, which is very unusual for him, he has been very active until now. He has a very slight swelling where his ventral fins are. My husband says he cant really see it but I dont think I'm being paranoid and dont really want to wait until it is super noticable to do something. Any help? Or should I just wait it out and see?
breezywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

How much did you feed him? He's probably constipated from going awhile without food and then suddenly eating. Just fast him and watch for poop.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 
breezywillow

The first day he ate I gave him 5-6 pellets and that was it all day, the second day I only gave him 3 pellets and it was later in the day that I noticed the swelling, that was Sun and Mon, today the swelling has gone down quite a bit but I still havent seen poop, but I dont get to really watch him that much being on third shift and sleeping most of the day. He is constently sitting in the spot I feed him wanting more. And he has been flaring alot right in that spot, which he hasnt dont at all since Ive had him. Today I only gave him two, spaced at least nine hours apart, and wont feed him anymore until I get up tomorrow afternoon. I dont want to fast him completely incase your right and its because he has gone for so long without food that his stomach has shrunk. Im going to try to keep it to 1-2 pellets a day in two meals, with one fast day for a week and then gradually move the number of pellets up until he gets used to the amount of food, hopefully topping out at 4-6 pellets a day in two meals. I also offer him FD bloodworms as a snack but I dont give him pellets if I give him 1-2 of those. Hopefully the swelling will stay down :)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Fasting is the best way to help constipation. Their digestive systems need rest sometimes. You could try feeding him every other day until the swelling goes down or he gets on a regular poop schedule. Fasting a day won't hurt him even if it has been awhile since he ate... It's better to start out slow.

Also, what brand of pellets are you feeding?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #17 
breezywillow

Hikari Bio Gold
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #18 
BettaGIRL5

betta fish male or female????

maybe he is just eating too much??

Last edited by BettaGIRL5; 02-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
BettaGIRL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I would only feed three pellets a day. 5-6 is a lot unless they are as small as NLS (like pencil tip small).
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #20 
breezywillow

They are really tiny, about the size of a lead pencil tip, they are 1/4 the size of Tetra Mini pellets, which I tried at first and he would just continually spit back out. I had read a couple other threads here with people using bio gold and suggesting about 6 pellets a day but I'll try cutting him back some once the swelling goes down, which it seems to be doing, albeit rather slowly. He is still mostly sitting around the top of the tank, usually in the spot I feed him but he does swim around the tank some and doesnt seem to have any problems doing so. I have been trying to get him to flair with no success. Tried the mirror and showing him pictures of other bettas and besides yesterday him compulsively doing it on his own, he wont flair. Instead he just kind of stares and then turns away.