Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #1 
Kwomais

Talking marina s10 slim

So I ordered a marina s10 slim from amazon for about $14 after battling with numerous other, more expensive, ridiculously loud, unsatisfactory filters. I would just like to say: loooooooooooooooove! It is soooo quiet that I cannot hear it unless I concentrate and the house is silent (which is important as the tank's in my bedroom). The flow is adjustable so, once I set it to the lowest setting, I didn't need to baffle it AND it does a great job of keeping the water clear! I highly recommend this filter to anyone wanting to filter a smaller tank (mine's a 5gal). Oh! And it fits behind my tank which is about a 2.5in gap. Again looooooove!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
Cortney2122

Would that filter work for a 10 or 20 gallon tank? Sorry im new and having trouble with filters for tanks.
Cortney2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #3 
Kwomais

It's rated for a 10Gal *supposedly* but they also make a slim S15 and an S20 for larger (15 & 20gal) tanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #4 
Cortney2122

OH ok thanks. yeah I havent started up my tanks again yet since my last two betta died which i think the cause was too much of a current in the tank. But thanks to some research I plan to try again. So i really want a good filter that will do the job right but not to rough for the fish and quite possibly cause i want it in my room.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #5 
Kwomais

I really like this one. And one of the best features is the price! It was very affordable and as a student, that's important.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #6 
pittipuppylove

The Slims are great little filters! I have three 5 gallon betta tanks that each have an s10 and they work awesomely, especially after tweaking the filter media.

However, I personally wouldn't use a s10 for much more than a 5 gallon, at least not without upgrading the media inside to something without carbon and with a bit more surface area. If you need to filter a 10 gallon and want to use a Marina Slim, go with the s15 or s20. For something like a 20 gallon, you should probably go with a slightly heftier filter - AquaClear is a great brand with several sizes to go with a range of tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #7 
Cortney2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
The Slims are great little filters! I have three 5 gallon betta tanks that each have an s10 and they work awesomely, especially after tweaking the filter media.

However, I personally wouldn't use a s10 for much more than a 5 gallon, at least not without upgrading the media inside to something without carbon and with a bit more surface area. If you need to filter a 10 gallon and want to use a Marina Slim, go with the s15 or s20. For something like a 20 gallon, you should probably go with a slightly heftier filter - AquaClear is a great brand with several sizes to go with a range of tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is the aquaclear quite?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #8 
Fishybitty

I was actually looking at that filter also. Let us know how it works out and if it cleans the water pretty well.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #9 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney2122 View Post
Is the aquaclear quite?
Both of mine are just as quiet as the s10's, at least. There are some people who have gotten ones that have a less-than-great motor that makes them a bit noisy. Some have a "breaking in" period of a week or two while the motor gets balanced and then it quiets down, but it seems like others don't ever balance out.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote