Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
ajlepore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Question Bettafix safe to use for fin rot when cycling tank?

I am doing a fish in cycle in my 10 gallon tank. The male delta tail betta I have in the tank currently has some mild fin rot. I am wondering if Bettafix is safe to use in a tank going through the cycling process. I didn't know if it would hinder the cycling in any way. It's been set up about a week. I am doing 20% water changes every 3 days and testing my parameters daily. Eventually, I want to divide the tank to house another male but I am waiting until it is fully cycled and my delta tail has fully recovered from fin rot. Any suggestions? TIA!
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter
New Member
 
bettaisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Um, I don't like Stalkers.
Betta-fix has an ingredient in it called tea tree oil. It's a substance that can coat the labyrinth and suffocate your betta. I will never recommend this med for any labyrinth fish. If your filter runs with carbon, it will absorb the effects anyway.

For fin rot, I usually treat the fish in a QT tank. But if it's just a mild case, clean water will do it. Instead of 20% changes, do 50% changes instead. The ammonia is needed for the cycle, but the fish's life is more important.
Are you sure he isn't tail biting?

If not, aquarium salt for 1-3 teaspoons per gallon. Do this treatment in a QT tank. Dissolve first (add in slowly over and hour or so) and do daily 100% changes for 10 days. For your ammonia source, just add in small pieces of fish food.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #3 
ajlepore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Betta-fix has an ingredient in it called tea tree oil. It's a substance that can coat the labyrinth and suffocate your betta. I will never recommend this med for any labyrinth fish. If your filter runs with carbon, it will absorb the effects anyway.

For fin rot, I usually treat the fish in a QT tank. But if it's just a mild case, clean water will do it. Instead of 20% changes, do 50% changes instead. The ammonia is needed for the cycle, but the fish's life is more important.
Are you sure he isn't tail biting?

If not, aquarium salt for 1-3 teaspoons per gallon. Do this treatment in a QT tank. Dissolve first (add in slowly over and hour or so) and do daily 100% changes for 10 days. For your ammonia source, just add in small pieces of fish food.
I don't have a QT tank at the moment. When I do purchase one, to help treat future fish (here's hoping it isn't often) would a 5 gal work? Since I don't have a QT tank, would 30% water changes every 3 days with a bit of dissolved aquarium salt with each change treat the fin rot and still allow my tank to cycle? I don't think he is tail biting, at least I have never seen him do that. I just bought him last Sunday and wanted to treat the fin rot. I will have to stay away from Betta-fix as what you said makes me super nervous to use it.
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #4 
bettaisbetter
New Member
 
bettaisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Um, I don't like Stalkers.
A 5G will work great for a QT tank. I like smaller tanks for QT tanks because you would need to do 100% changes with all the sick fish. It will be easier for you and the fish, the fish won't use much energy either. Unfortunately, aquarium salt can't and won't evaporate. You would need to do 100% changes to get rid of it all. If you do a 100% change, the cycle will crash since 30% of the BB is in the substrate. Why can't you do 50% changes? There's actually a big difference.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 
ajlepore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
A 5G will work great for a QT tank. I like smaller tanks for QT tanks because you would need to do 100% changes with all the sick fish. It will be easier for you and the fish, the fish won't use much energy either. Unfortunately, aquarium salt can't and won't evaporate. You would need to do 100% changes to get rid of it all. If you do a 100% change, the cycle will crash since 30% of the BB is in the substrate. Why can't you do 50% changes? There's actually a big difference.
Oh, I can do 50% every 3 days, I just thought that would set back my cycling. What is a safe amount of water to change when cycling? Obviously, I want to treat my guy but I am not sure how often/how much water to change during the cycle? Also, is it safe to add salt with each 50% water change for up to ten days? Sorry for all the questions...this is all completely new to me and I'm trying to educate myself.
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 
bettaisbetter
New Member
 
bettaisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Um, I don't like Stalkers.
50% should be the maximum, anymore the ammonia might die out.
As I said before, you can only treat your betta in a QT tank since the aquarium salt won't evaporate and you'll need to do a 100% change which in turn would destroy your cycle. And it's perfectly fine. You can't learn anything without asking questions. :)
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #7 
callistra
Member
 
callistra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You should not cycle a tank with a sick fish. He needs to be QTed and treated.

This might help with the cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 Basically you need to test daily for ammonia and nitrite and do a 50% change any time you see either show up. In addition to this a weekly 50% change with siphon is needed. Cycling can take up to 2 months before you can just do one weekly change with siphon.

Actually you can do a 90%+ change safely as long as you don't shock the bacteria by not using same temp (cold) water. You can siphon off right down to the gravel and refill and not hurt your cycle. The bacteria grows on surfaces not swims in the water.

Last edited by callistra; 01-29-2013 at 12:31 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #8 
ajlepore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You should not cycle a tank with a sick fish. He needs to be QTed and treated.

This might help with the cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 Basically you need to test daily for ammonia and nitrite and do a 50% change any time you see either show up. In addition to this a weekly 50% change with siphon is needed. Cycling can take up to 2 months before you can just do one weekly change with siphon.

Actually you can do a 90%+ change safely as long as you don't shock the bacteria by not using same temp (cold) water. You can siphon off right down to the gravel and refill and not hurt your cycle. The bacteria grows on surfaces not swims in the water.
And that is if I don't have a QT tank? I'm feeling discouraged. I think I will take your advice and buy a QT tank. Once I do that and start treating him there, should I empty my 10 gal and start over? I've read that fin rot is contagious. Just wondering if when it is done cycling and I do add another fish, will the water be contaminated? If so, how do I start over? Drain all the water and let it dry? Do I need a new filter cartridge?
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #9 
callistra
Member
 
callistra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
No, you don't need to start over. the fin rot was probably caused by being exposed to the ammonia during cycling.

You can QT by floating a 2-3 gallon kritter keeper half full in the larger tank for warmth.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For anyone cycling with Tetra Safe Start. wallywestisthebest333 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 37 03-15-2014 10:59 PM
Using Bettafix in a new 2.5 gallon tank. How often should I cycle? hginochio Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 11-30-2012 11:06 PM
Is bettafix safe? minti13 Betta Fish Care 8 03-30-2010 06:12 PM
Tips for Fish In Safe Cycling 1fish2fish Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 30 01-17-2010 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.