Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #21 
majesticstorm

Plastic bamboo finally says its goodbye...

So I just came back from my classes for the day and rushed over to a super happy Rain greeting me at his tank. To my horror, I saw that his anal fin had a fairly large tear, and when say "fairly large" I mean ripped halfway to his little blue body. I quickly removed the floating bamboo plant, at least, until his fin's healed up. I may either remove it permanently, keep it after his fin heals, or just get some smaller pieces of the plant to float on top to block out some light (but then again, the large IAL I currently have in the tank does the job nicely, as long as I can keep it near the top of the tank). The tank seems kind of empty without the bamboo and the moss balls (which I removed for the AQ salt treatment), but Rain doesn't seem to be too upset. Hey, it just means more room for him to swim around in, right? Plus, I still have one more silk plant I haven't put in the tank yet in case he needs something else.

The IAL that I have this time has made my tank water really dark, but maybe that's because I replaced it with a new leaf two days after I replaced the last one since I noticed a slime coating on the previous one and some little white worm-like things on the side of the glass (probably planarians, no biggie). But then again, the double dose would be good for his healing fins, and he seems much more comfortable swimming out into the light since the water's darker.

And as far as Rain's flashing goes, he was flashing yesterday, but I haven't seen him do it today, which is a good sign. Hopefully the AQ salt gets rid of whatever's been bothering him, or else I will have to call out the big guns and get out my Seachem Prime.

My heater's currently set up 85F, but the thermometer's still reading 80F...oh well, as long as the water's not below 76F I'm happy, I guess, but it makes me worry about what to do if Rain ever gets velvet or something like that and I need to up my temperature to 85F.

And he might not be the little piebald guy I thought he was, I see some black markings appearing on his face.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #22 
majesticstorm

Today's day 6 of his AQ salt treatment, and it seems like he hasn't been flashing or anything of that nature, at least not during the evenings when I usually do work in front of his tank (his tank is riiiight on my desk, less room for me to utilize, but it's worth it :D). But I make sure to observe him at least 30 minutes a day to make sure nothing's wrong with him.

His tail's healing nicely, and I can barely see the tears that he did to himself. His anal fin will still take some time. I think that he's stopped tail-biting, which is awesome.

Without the bamboo decoration, I've noticed that he's on the bottom of the tank a lot more now that he used to be. I think it's cuz he used to be able to rest on the bamboo plants, but now he can't so he has to rest on the bottom at times.

I've found that when I put my fingers right up against the glass, he'll come out to check it out. He'll slowly advance towards my fingers while flaring his gills out, but he'll slowly back away, as though trying to "around" my fingers. Hahahaha, did the same thing when I put my earbud against the glass (was wondering if he liked music). He was curiously following my ruler around as I was making my graphs today. He's so adorkable!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #23 
majesticstorm

So my nothing's wrong with my heater or my thermometer

So, when I was changing Rain's water today, I decided to stick the thermometer in some cold water to see if it worked; it did. Turns out, the reason why the water temperature was colder than the temperature I set was because I had the heated positioned upright instead of horizontal (I had this problem when I first used it and positioned it upright, set it to 79F, but the water barely reached 75F the next morning). I had set it vertically so that it would be easier for me to adjust the temperature when I was slowly upping it to 85-86F. But now the heater is positioned horizontally and the water temperature is at a steady 85F.

I didn't realize how dark my water got with the double dose of IAL. As the week went by, I noticed that the light seemed REALLY dim to me and I was like, "is the light supposed to dim out that fast? It's only been 3 weeks." When I dumped out the old water during the water change, it was the color of tea. After the water change, I turned on the light and was surprised at how bright the light was and actually thought that there was a second setting to my light that I didn't know about where there was a dimmer setting. Turns out there's only one, and it was dim because of the IAL tannins, hahaha.

Seems like Rain's stopped scratching, so I've stopped his IAL treatment with today being day 7. I didn't want to do the full 10 days because I was worried about how he would handle the AQ salt, but the water's at 85F, and will be for another week.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #24 
majesticstorm

So, I see that Rain's a bit more active now that the AQ salt is out of the tank.

Unfortunately, I think that he's once again tail-biting :(

Also, I think that it wasn't the plastic bamboo plant that made the tear in his fin, but rather the silk pennywort plant. Now that I look at it more closely, the plastic parts do feel a bit sharp, so I'll get some sandpaper and sand it down some time.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #25 
majesticstorm

...Ended up switching plants...again, hahaha

Being the super paranoid me, I've decided to not risk it and take out the pennywort plant until I can sandpaper the sharp edges down. But I'm definitely not planning on using it since it gives a rather nice contrast to the long-leaved plant. I decided to use the bamboo again, but then took it out. So for the time being, I put in the other Hagen Marina long-leaved silk plant that I was PLANNING on using once the Petsmart silk plant got too frayed. I've felt this one and have a lot less to worry about since the leaves cover up like 95% of the plastic and the ones that do stick out are SMOOTH.

I've also changed the IAL since to help his fins. Honestly, I think that Amy Lin's gonna be hearing from me again real soon if this keeps up XD.

After this whole fin tearing/fin biting ordeal, plakats seem more and more appealing to me. I mean, I've always liked them, but now I'm thinking of plakats ONLY.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #26 
majesticstorm

so the AQ salt didn't work...

It seems like Rain's once again flashing...and I don't think that another 3 days of AQ salt's gonna get rid of whatever it is that's bothering him so I decided to use Seachem Paraguard instead. I'm quite surprised that it didn't make my water all blue. It looks like I didn't add anything, which I am happy about. Also, it seems like the Paraguard becomes inactive in 24 hrs so I just have to redose the medicine and not have to worry about the medication building up in the tank :)

I'm planning on using Paraguard for 3 weeks, unless it looks like Rain's uncomfortable, but so far he doesn't seem bothered.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #27 
majesticstorm

starting to marble again, bubblenest, etc...

Ok, so tonight marks day 2 of his Paraguard treatment. He seems to be taking the medication just fine. No signs of stress, healthy appetite, and most importantly NOT FLASHING.

On a different note, Rain's started to marble again! :D The blue's starting to recede again and the white area around his head is slowly moving towards his body. His blue fins have blotches of white now too! I've also noticed that his fins have little black dots on them (most apparent on his dorsal).

I also like to tell myself that his fins have grown since I first got him from Petco, but it might just be my imagination. But the most important thing is that his anal fin heals up!

He's build quite an impressive bubble nest under the IAL. I've never seen him build such a big one (but then again, there's me sticking my hand in there all the time replacing his decorations and messing his nests up, hahaha).

The picture doesn't do his bubblenest justice though. It spans behind the silk plant leaf that's in the front and is quite thick. Bravo, Rain, bravo. Unfortunately, due to his bubblenest being close to the back of the tank, he's gotten a bit more territorial and has been constantly flaring at his reflection. I know that too much flaring's bad for bettas, and plus, now's not the time for him to go strutting his stuff since his anal fin's mending, and too much flaring puts a lot off strain on his fins. Previously, his background was a paper bag, but I've replaced it with white printer paper so hopefully he won't flare as much. Although...he was STILL flaring after I replaced the background... *facepalm*

Oh, I also think that he's beefed up a bit since I first got him. I guess all the swimming around in a a nice large tank helped him gain some muscle. Plus, I also like to think that it's the NLS pellets doing its job :) Hey, I spent almost $10 on it (shipping included), I want to know that it was worth it, hahaha.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-30-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #28 
Sixwolf

Such a big nest! My guy just recently started blowing his first ones and they're teeny. XD
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #29 
majesticstorm

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll make bigger ones once he's gotten the hang of it. :D Rain's were teeny when he first started making them, too. I think he started making bigger ones after I started using Indian almond leaves.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #30 
majesticstorm

betta training, lols...

So I'm trying to get Rain to swim into his betta cup willingly when I do my water changes. And I gotta say, it's going easier than I expected it to be. I decided to try it last week when I put the cup right next to Rain and he curiously swam in it himself. I quickly gave him a NLS pellet as a reward and thought that it might really be possible. This week I did the same thing and he swam in it again, so I gave him a NLS pellet. Hopefully it goes well so I don't have to chase him around the tank all the time. I know that's stressful to him.

I remember the first time I cupped Rain. It was the day after I got him. I had to leave on a 5hr bus/train ride back home for the holidays and I was taking him with me (I know, getting a fish the day before was a stupid idea...but he was calling for me!). I got him in his new 5.5gal tank with a heater, and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to go back to when his home was a cup so when I was trying to cup him, he was swimming away from it like it was the plague. XD

On a side note, Rain's fins have more white on them. I can kind of see some yellow, too.