Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #1 
inveritas

[Nonemergency] Battered fins

So today I woke up and discovered that my betta's fins were torn, how this happened I still do not know:

It was perfectly fine the night before, not a single scratch. And I've not any items in my tank that I thought could have caused it:
  • Porcelain cube with no sharp edges
  • Small internal filter
  • Sponge to buffer the filter output
  • Free-floating anubias nana plant
  • Gravel

It doesn't look like disease either, since it happened overnight and his behavior is still the same - active, curious, always coming up to the surface for food when I go near.

Any idea what could have caused this and how I can take extra care in healing his fins? My 2G tank is currently treated with Prime, blackwater (tannins) extract and a pinch of aquarium salt.

Thanks in advance!
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #2 
majesticstorm

When you say "internal filter" do you mean a sponge filter? If it's a hang on the back filter, the intake valve could've sucked his tail up and batter his tail up like that.

I think what you're doing is just fine, just keep the water clean. :)
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #3 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
When you say "internal filter" do you mean a sponge filter? If it's a hang on the back filter, the intake valve could've sucked his tail up and batter his tail up like that.

I think what you're doing is just fine, just keep the water clean. :)
Ah no, this was the filter:

I've shut it off now (since bettas thrive well without them) and will monitor him. One more question though, could it have been the plant that was ripping his tails?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
majesticstorm

Well, if it was a live plant, I highly doubt that it'll tear his fins...and to that extent too, poor boy. T^T
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #5 
callistra

You see all that gray at the ends? That's some fast moving fin rot..

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Are you using salt for the rot or do you put it in there normally? You can't use AQ for more than 10 days and then it should only be used for illness. If you use it regularly you can cause premature organ failure and resistant strains of bacteria to the salt so it can't be used for treatment if he does get sick.. like now.. you need to look for broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex or Furan 2, or Triple Sulfa
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #6 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You see all that gray at the ends? That's some fast moving fin rot..

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Are you using salt for the rot or do you put it in there normally? You can't use AQ for more than 10 days and then it should only be used for illness. If you use it regularly you can cause premature organ failure and resistant strains of bacteria to the salt so it can't be used for treatment if he does get sick.. like now.. you need to look for broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex or Furan 2, or Triple Sulfa
Are you sure it's fin rot? This happened in just 3 hours from completely scratchless fins. I put a very small pinch of salt in my 2G/8L tank, way low than the usual dosage others do. It's been day 3 and I can see it starting to grow back.