Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
mrlimpet

Is Mr. Limpet Sick? Any ideas on diagnosis if so? Please Help.

Hello everyone,

sorry my first post has to do with what I have so far perceived as a sick fish and not a post showing off our nee healthy betta.

Long story short, Mr Limpet was bought as a gift but was rejected and now he's in my hands. I've researched him enough to find out he might be sick so it's actually best he didn't become gifted and possibly ignored. Now i've grown a liking for the fella and can't just return him. Hopefully the cure to what I perceive as possible problems is just water conditioning and space but I'm so new to this I don't know what would be best. Allowing him time to adjust to the new water and setting or beginning treatment right away (if any is needed).

He has two pin sized holes on his anal fin.

His color isn't as vibrant ad it should be I think. His head is dark grey (could be natural, idk).

His body has a horizontal grey line (signs of stress)

For the most part, his fins are clenched.

He also has really small black/grey spots all over fins(possible bacteria?)

Any help or diagnosis is appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrlimpet; 01-28-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: adding text
mrlimpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please fill out this form so that we have more info?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #3 
mrlimpet

I am sorry if I haven't followed forum rules, I'm making am emergency post and work a lot.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal with 2.5 Gal of water
What temperature is your tank? Trying to stabilize at 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? "wardley betta food blue intensifier" Pellets, blood worm snacks
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Please recommend
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? please recommend
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "Splendid Betta" (Petco)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Sorry, No

If so, what are the following parameters?

please recommend tester

Ammonia: na
Nitrite:na
Nitrate:na
pH:na
Hardness:na
Alkalinity: na

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just got him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Just got him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Right away
Have you started treating your fish? No If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #4 
itsuki

im new at this but i have A BOOK!! this one may be what your fish has: slime disease its symtoms are shaky swimming pattern and a gray coating on the body. the treatment is frequent water changes and malchite green (a product you can buy at your pet store). but since u did say that there are holes in the fin then maybe it may have some fin rot too and that is treated with gentian violet (it says to spot treat so assuming that means apply to damaged area...) add 1 tsp of salt for every 5 gallons so in your case 1/2 tsp. and change water frequently.

most would recommend water changes every 2 or 3 days for smaller tanks like yours, laziness would stretch it out to maybe every 5 to 7 days. the recommended percentage of water change is 20% of the water. honestly i think u should fill up the tank more. i have a 10g tank and its filled up the the black line of the plastic frame but i know these fish can be very particular so try it and see if your fish likes it

btw i love the movie the incredible mr. limpet, my little nephews just saw it recently and they didnt say the name of the movie but described it to me and i knew exactly what movie it was!! but good luck to mr. limpet

Last edited by itsuki; 01-29-2013 at 01:44 AM.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #5 
mrlimpet

Thank you for your recommendations. We are doing our best to help mrlimpet, I hope we can save him. He does not seem well today and the water is very murky only after one day. He does seem very stressed and wants to hide mostly.

I have a natural treatment that was started yesterday called BettaFix. I will be trying
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

No... No Bettafix. Avoid anything that ends with 'fix.' They usually contains oils, which can make it difficult for your Betta to breathe.

Personally, I'd do a 100% water change asap to get him out of the bettafix....

Quote:
He has two pin sized holes on his anal fin.
His color isn't as vibrant ad it should be I think. His head is dark grey (could be natural, idk).
His body has a horizontal grey line (signs of stress)
For the most part, his fins are clenched.
He also has really small black/grey spots all over fins(possible bacteria?)
The pinholes could be the result of having high ammonia levels in his previous tank, or fin rot. Are they the same color as his body? Or are they outlined in black or red?

The best thing for healing small fin tears and holes is to keep him in warm, clean water.

The stress lines and clamped fins could be from lots of things. How long ago did you put him into his new home? How did you acclimate him to it?

The tiny dark spots all over his fins are probably just his fins. My guys have them too.

Will read your other posts, and comment on them in a second.... (Wanted to submit this one quickly, so you can get him out of the bettafix...)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimpet View Post
What size is your tank? 5 gal with 2.5 Gal of water
What temperature is your tank? Trying to stabilize at 78 degrees
All of this is fine. How did you acclimate (introduce) him to his new home? Did you float his cup, etc? Or just put him directly into the tank?

Quote:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? "wardley betta food blue intensifier" Pellets, blood worm snacks
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day
What are the first three ingredients of the Wardley food? They should be fish ingredients, not 'wheat' or 'meal.' On this site, the two most recommended brands of food are New Life Spectrum (NLS) and Omega One Betta Buffet.

Also, when you say you fee them twice a day, how many pellets do you give him each time?

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? Please recommend
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? please recommend
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "Splendid Betta" (Petco)
Right now, you only have 2.5 gal of water, so you'll be doing more frequent water changes. Take a look at the first post in OFL's water change recommendations thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

I'm not familiar with your water conditioner, but I looked it up, and it definitely met all the requirements. So that's fine. How much of it did you add to the 2.5 gal of water?

Quote:
Have you tested your water? Sorry, No
please recommend tester
If you don't plan on using a filter, and just doing frequent water changes, you may not need to do much water testing. (Personally, I do not have a filter so I do frequent water changes, and don't do a lot of testing.)

That said, the API Master Freshwater kit is highly recommended by people here. It goes on sale at Amazon every now and then. Probably, the most important test you'll do will be for ammonia.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-29-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #8 
mrlimpet

Thank you for the help and thorough responses LittleBlueFishlets. I will answer all questions ASAP.

Personally, I'd do a 100% water change asap to get him out of the bettafix....

Will do asap

The pinholes could be the result of having high ammonia levels in his previous tank, or fin rot. Are they the same color as his body? Or are they outlined in black or red? Will look more closely and get back to you asap

The best thing for healing small fin tears and holes is to keep him in warm, clean water.

The stress lines and clamped fins could be from lots of things. How long ago did you put him into his new home? 2 days ago

How did you acclimate him to it? No special treatment except keeping some of the old water

The tiny dark spots all over his fins are probably just his fins. My guys have them too. A relief
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #9 
mrlimpet

The pinholes could be the result of having high ammonia levels in his previous tank, or fin rot. Are they the same color as his body? Or are they outlined in black or red?

I tried to take a closer look to find out how they are lined and could not find the same holes on his fin. It must have healed, if so I am relieved that we are in the right track. Either the water changes we've done so far and maybe even the additive or the combination, healed his fin. I will keep an eye on them and get back to you if I find them. Hopefully, they are gone. :)

All of this is fine. How did you acclimate (introduce) him to his new home? Did you float his cup, etc? Or just put him directly into the tank? Directly Into tank. He had one other (besides transport cup) since his venture into his 5 gallon tank. Before this tank he had a night in 1 liter tank.

What are the first three ingredients of the Wardley food? Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Dehulled Soy Bean Meal. :/ Not good.

Also, when you say you fee them twice a day, how many pellets do you give him each time?

A few pellets, 3-5. He doesn't eat them to be quite honest, actually eats maybe 1. Spits them back out. He ate a few of the crums tonight after I had crushed the pellets but either spit most of them out or let them fall to the ground. Thank you for the recommendations.

I'm not familiar with your water conditioner, but I looked it up, and it definitely met all the requirements. So that's fine. How much of it did you add to the 2.5 gal of water? Half a teaspoon per gallon.

Thanks for the info on the testers.

Last edited by mrlimpet; 01-30-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #10 
mrlimpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
add 1 tsp of salt for every 5 gallons so in your case 1/2 tsp. and change water frequently.
Itsuki,

Is the salt good for the slime disease or only fish rot or both?

Will adding salt hurt if it isn't infact slime disease?

How soon should I see results?

The grey "slime disease" is very dark, almost black. I can only tell it's grey when I shine a flash light on him. Could it be a natural spotting?

I will try to get better pictures.

Thank you

Last edited by mrlimpet; 01-30-2013 at 04:14 AM.