Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #601 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Oh, lol. Sorry. Maybe that would be "adoption"? Haha.
yeah hahaha! I think your right... adoption is the better word. haha
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #602 
tnvol

My daughter just started one in her empty 10 gallon. She brought these two home yesterday afternoon. I figured we would see how these 2 do together and then add a couple more in 3 weeks or so. These were together in the same tank at the shop they came from. They haven't chased or nipped at each other as of yet so we are keeping our fingers crossed. I'm so proud of her. She is really turning into a responsible fish owner.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #603 
NapoleonUWS

Great information on sororities here!

Late to the party here... been really busy with work and didn't have time to post about my sorority -

Started my sorority last fall with 4 gals (I know 5 is recommended) and things are still going great! All four gals are relatively the same age (size) and I have had little or no fights or nipping (fingers crossed!).
In fact, two of the gals are quite chummy and stay together all the time (strange?)... they are not nippy with the two lone girls and only occasionally give them a chase... the single gals just get out of the way... they all eat together and there have been no issues...

I've also noticed that the girls seem to have bigger appetites than all the boys I've had in the past. Is that just me dreaming that up?

My tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding places, floating plants, etc...
Seems to be working! Am I just lucky?

I have to say, I've only had male bettas in the past, but I LOVE having all the girls in a tank together... feels more like a family! Colors, MORE BETTAS!
Will post pics later...

NapoleonUWS
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #604 
logisticsguy

Yes a sorority tank is awesome. Your not dreaming about the difference in appetites. Girls in my sorority are little piggies compared to my males. I prefer female betta over the males anyway so Im a bit weird.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #605 
Demysta

Hey guys! So... I'm planning to get a nice 10 gallon tank thats complete with plants, gravel, hood, lights, and filter and I'm wondering... just how many girls could be appropriate for a 10 gallon sorority tank? I've never tried a sorority before, so I'm really excited! :D
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #606 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Yes a sorority tank is awesome. Your not dreaming about the difference in appetites. Girls in my sorority are little piggies compared to my males. I prefer female betta over the males anyway so Im a bit weird.
Ours are too. They act like they are starving every time someone walks by their tank.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #607 
Mandy Pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demysta View Post
Hey guys! So... I'm planning to get a nice 10 gallon tank thats complete with plants, gravel, hood, lights, and filter and I'm wondering... just how many girls could be appropriate for a 10 gallon sorority tank? I've never tried a sorority before, so I'm really excited! :D
I think it's been agreed upon that 7 is the best number for a 10.
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #608 
cdouglas93

What if you want to have a sorority plus some a little community in a ten? Could I do five and something else?
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #609 
Mandy Pandy

I'll let someone more experienced than me answer that but I know more girls = better. The more girls you have the more any aggression is spread out.
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #610 
Bombalurina

Just because of the bioload, I would suggest 5-6 girls and some shrimp or a couple of nerite snails, rather than some community fish. Not that I ever listen to my own advice on stocking! :p

I'm down to just one girl from my lovely sorority now, and she's on the death watch. :( What do I do? Have another sorority? Go for just one male? Go for a totally different species? Do I buy from a shop or from aquabid?
This is for my 16 gallon, taller-than-it-is-wide, heavily planted community.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote