Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #11 
Bungertswife

Do they reproduce on their own? Have you had luck selling the snails to other people or places when over populating?
Bungertswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

These snails will NOT eat eggs. I used them for years and never had an issue.

Okay yes I have sold snails before both on and off aquabid. If I still had any (which I might since they'd survive a nuclear bomb) I'd sell them to you. Will have to check though.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #13 
Bungertswife

Lol to the nuclear bomb part. And that would be great. Not getting my betta breeding tank (10 gallon) til this weekend sometime though but would love to look into getting some snails if you had any left. You would just have to let me know a price for them.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #14 
Myates

Don't forget you will need grow out tanks - roughly 30 gallons at least - nothing less than 20 gallons if you plan on culling (killing) a good portion of your babies.

Also need individual set ups for all the males/females that become aggressive - again depending upon how many you cull could be anywhere from 10 - 200 jars/containers and a way to properly heat them.. and the hours a day you will need to clean them all.

So breeding tank set up and growing up set up. Expect to be a minimum of a few hundred dollars for a single set up and the price goes up from there.

Getting them to breed is one thing and fairly cheap depending upon how many you spawn/grow and what you use to do so in. It's the care after that is a bit harder/expensive. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #15 
Bungertswife

Thanks for the info :) I do know that I will need a grow out tank and am looking at a 30 gallon setup currently for that purpose, plus I have been doing lots of research online about the care of the fry and bettas afterwards. I don't worry to much about expense like granted I don't have xxxx's to spend but willing to invest for a successful brood. I will likely end up culling some of the fry depending on if I see anything that is a concern to me.

On a side note as well, I am looking into breeding other types of fish possibly too...Any recommendations for a novice breeder?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #16 
Myates

Depends on what other type of fish you are looking for.. there are egg layers, mouthbrooders, livebearers.. so depends on what fish you are wanting to breed. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta breeding, first time breeder