Mal72

Are HMPK more aggressive?

Currently, I have five Bettas:
Joker-my DT
Harley Quinn-my female CT
Bruce Wayne: my twin tail HM
Dark Knight: my Hm
And my newest addition was Harvey Two Face: a HMPK

Well, I am a fan of split tank and currently have two 10 gallons (obviousy heated and filtered) . I have live plants that obstruct the view on both sides; however they can see one another if they were really trying to do so. My plan was to move Harley from one side of the 10 to my community tank 26G with some mollies and a similar set up and move Harvey next to Joker. I acclimated both fish into their new homes then released Harvey. Immediately, it became a battle royale both males were flaring at shadows in the mesh and more interesting, Harvey began pushing the mesh and moved gravel out of the way. Meanwhile, Joker was gunning to get to him on the other side. Either they or I moved the wall enough for Joker to get some of his tail fin through to the other side and that's when I moved Harvey Two Face. Poor Harley was having a miserable time in the community tank and I realized I needed to move them both. After acclimation, Harvey went to a 2.5 G holding tank (with all necessary amentities) and Harley went back to her old spot. Immediately she and Joker both calmed down and swimmed normally. When I put Dkand Bruce in a split tank, they flared for about 2 minutes then went off to explore their homes. Now they don't even worry about it anymore. As you can imagine, I'm a little nervous about putting Harvey Two Face in a split tank. Is it normal for HMPK's to be this...fiery or was it just the newness of the environment?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #2 
Myates

lol you sound like my boyfriend with all the comic talk :P

It's most likely the new location that got them riled up.. PKs can be a bit more aggressive, but not necessarily. Mostly has to do with individual aggression.

Was Harvey by himself previously? Not able to see another betta very well? The longer they spend alone the more they (all splendens in general) become aggressive.

Or he just didn't like his neighbor for some reason..

These fish are odd when it comes to who they like, etc.. I have two brothers that will ignore all other fish.. will even share a 10g with a female and sleep side by side with her, ignores all other males.. except each other. They will go after each other like you wouldn't believe if their tanks end up side by side. They will flare til they pass out.. oblivious to all others that may be surrounding them. Just.. each other..

So who knows lol.. but PKs are closer to natural/fighters, so they may have a bit more aggression issues.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #3 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
lol you sound like my boyfriend with all the comic talk :P

It's most likely the new location that got them riled up.. PKs can be a bit more aggressive, but not necessarily. Mostly has to do with individual aggression.

Was Harvey by himself previously? Not able to see another betta very well? The longer they spend alone the more they (all splendens in general) become aggressive.

Or he just didn't like his neighbor for some reason..

These fish are odd when it comes to who they like, etc.. I have two brothers that will ignore all other fish.. will even share a 10g with a female and sleep side by side with her, ignores all other males.. except each other. They will go after each other like you wouldn't believe if their tanks end up side by side. They will flare til they pass out.. oblivious to all others that may be surrounding them. Just.. each other..

So who knows lol.. but PKs are closer to natural/fighters, so they may have a bit more aggression issues.
Lol, my boyfriend is a graphic designer who loves comic book art, so he got me into it. I'm not sure how long he was at PetCo, but my store has individual slots for each betta, so they cannot see each other.Joker and Harley enjoy sleeping side by side on opposite ends of the divider too, it is funny. And DK and Bruce are pretty relaxed with one another, but I moved Harvey's tank next to DK's side and he got really upset--flaring like crazy. I guess being a Betta is basically like highschool. Lol. Everyone shuns the new guy when their cliques are already established. I'm glad my Bettas aren't the only weird ones. My mom, who comes over to feed my obssession reguarly--said that I needed to have 7 bettas because 7 was a good number. Two more to go, I suppose ;)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 
Myates

LOL

It's hard to stop.. I just purchased a few PKs this morning for my breeding stock.. I have more fish than I could ever breed in a year's time unless I expand. :P

But yeah, it sounds like he is a bit aggressive right now.. he should settle down the more he sees other fish. But right now he just got introduced into a new home and he is staking his claim and making sure he won't seem weak around the others. He shouldn't harm himself from flaring too much.. if you really want him to be in the divided, just place him in there and leave him be - in a week if he is still nuts then you can reevaluate, but flaring off and on during the day/night is normal.. plus gives him exercise :)

I have a male/female who have been side by side for over a year now who just recently stopped flaring at each other all the time - the male is old (about 3+ yrs old) and is starting to lose his spunk. Otherwise I think they would still be going at it like young bettas.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I have three plakats, and I notice they are a lot more fierce than the others. Did have a sorority for 7, now 4 x.x the plakats were removed for unruly conduct xD mean little buggers tore the daylights out of each other.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #6 
aemaki09

I've noticed that they usually get riled up like that when they are next to a new face. My most aggressive fish is a HM. He will try anything to get to the fish next door. My PKs are/were fairly aggressive too, but calm down after a few days of being next to another fish.
It's all about the individual fish. I imagine if the PK's come from fighter lines they would be more aggressive, but I have preacha girls (famous fighter line) and they are the most docile in my sorority tank.
(I am not involved with fighting in anyway, just wanted some PK girls and they were a good price, didn't know what preacha meant till the breeder explained and I looked into it)
Also, My HMPK girls seem to be the most aggressive in the sorority tank, but my male is the most docile fish I have.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I've noticed that they usually get riled up like that when they are next to a new face. My most aggressive fish is a HM. He will try anything to get to the fish next door. My PKs are/were fairly aggressive too, but calm down after a few days of being next to another fish.
It's all about the individual fish. I imagine if the PK's come from fighter lines they would be more aggressive, but I have preacha girls (famous fighter line) and they are the most docile in my sorority tank.
(I am not involved with fighting in anyway, just wanted some PK girls and they were a good price, didn't know what preacha meant till the breeder explained and I looked into it)
Also, My HMPK girls seem to be the most aggressive in the sorority tank, but my male is the most docile fish I have.

My HM was pretty aggressive for a while, but he calmed down when he got settled. And he and Bruce are both fine with each other now. Like I said above, he was not happy about the new guy being close to him though. I think Harvey Two Face is just going to get his own tank. That way, there won't be any problems. I think I'll put a VT in the next split tank--not sure what I'm going to put on the otherside to get up to crazy number 7. :P Maybe an elephant ear, but I really haven't seen any that are very pretty at my store. I wish I had a room for a King, but they need more spac than I have. I don't know. Lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #8 
Mal72

Myates, I forgot to add, I have two snails in DK/Bruce's tank named Fox and Alfred. ;)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #9 
aemaki09

I'm in love with marbles. So I'm going to suggest you get a marble something lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I'm in love with marbles. So I'm going to suggest you get a marble something lol
I saw a pretty marble HM the other day when I went with my brother to stock his tank. I'll have to keep an eye out for one!

The problem with VT is that they all seem to have mild fin rot. Flare (my siggy) was a VT so I reallly wanted to get another one is his honor, but now I'm a little spoiled. My HM has the most beautiful fins of all my boys.