Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #1 
AlphaBetta1

Gravel Vacuum

Does anyone have any experience with this product http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...roduct+Review? I am thinking about getting it. Thank you.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes I have this and it works great !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 
waterdog

Most gravel vacums are pretty much the same. They all get the job done!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 
Otterfun

you may want to consider one with a pump in case you need extra suction for some heavy debris. I have this one from Petsmart and I fnally learned how to use it and it works great.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 
Solaris

That looks like mine! I can't remember exactly what brand I have though. It took me a couple minutes to get the hang of it since I've never used one before. The only difficult part was after I had drained half of my 5 gallon. I just couldn't get the suction started again! So, I ended up submerging the whole hose in the water, and that worked just fine too!

It has a fairly strong suction, so I would definitely take your Betta out to avoid any accidents!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
That looks like mine! I can't remember exactly what brand I have though. It took me a couple minutes to get the hang of it since I've never used one before. The only difficult part was after I had drained half of my 5 gallon. I just couldn't get the suction started again! So, I ended up submerging the whole hose in the water, and that worked just fine too!

It has a fairly strong suction, so I would definitely take your Betta out to avoid any accidents!
Actually, the suction is affected by the distance between the vacuum (the part in the tank) and the exit hose. My basin is close by the tank, the distance between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the sink where the exit hose is placed is about 4". The flow is gentle, which explains my weak suction, I think. This is because the last time when I placed the hose in a bucket on the floor (about 40" drop in height), the water flowed out too fast and I had a mini flood. I am trying to equate the speed of flow with the velocity of the flow, which indicates the strength of the suction. I could be wrong in my thinking, though.

So my sink/tank situation works fine for me, especially I do not have to fret about cleaning up a flood since I have delayed reaction in my motor skills.

Last edited by Otterfun; 01-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #7 
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Actually, the suction is affected by the distance between the vacuum (the part in the tank) and the exit hose. My basin is close by the tank, the distance between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the sink where the exit hose is placed is about 4". The flow is gentle, which explains my weak suction, I think. This is because the last time when I placed the hose in a bucket on the floor (about 40" drop in height), the water flowed out too fast and I had a mini flood. I am trying to equate the speed of flow with the velocity of the flow, which indicates the strength of the suction. I could be wrong in my thinking, though.

So my sink/tank situation works fine for me, especially I do not have to fret about cleaning up a flood since I have delayed reaction in my motor skills.
Really? I hadn't realised that! I put my bucket on the floor, so I guess that explains it!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Really? I hadn't realised that! I put my bucket on the floor, so I guess that explains it!
That's what I was proposing as a possible answer to my slower water flow. I am open to correction though.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #9 
AlphaBetta1

Thank you all, sadly the closest petsmart is an hour away... I will defiantly take my Betta out before vacuuming, but what should I do about my community tank? There are s many curious little fishes in there.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
you may want to consider one with a pump in case you need extra suction for some heavy debris. I have this one from Petsmart and I fnally learned how to use it and it works great.
For smaller tanks, this pump can't be beat. I think I paid 8 bucks for mine. Works great.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote