Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #1 
NikiKnot

Question My Betta is lethargic and pale -- Help, please!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and here is my problem:

I have two Betta fish, my male Church who is a blue, Half-moon Betta and Texas, who is my little female. They are kept separately.

Now, right now my problem is with Chruch. He lives in a three gallon, well lit, hooded, cylinder tank. Usually he swims right up to see me.
As of last night, church has become lethargic. He will still respond to putting fingers on the tank (but only sometimes) and if you put something in the tank, he will get up to investigate. Otherwise, he lies on the bottom of the tank, on his side, and is losing color. He's not touching his food, either, but he never did eat most of his food anyway (Which is three pellets in the evening and three at night, most go untouched.) I've had him for about a week now, and this, as I said, just started. The water is conditioned, and he gets a water-change once a week. His last one was on Friday.

Texas, however, is fine. She also had her water changed Friday, and lives on the same table as Church.

I love Church and Texas very much, and as I don't have much experience with Betta fish I am a little scared for him right now. If anybody can give me any advice, please help!

Thanks!
NikiKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are the tanks heated? Are they filtered? You've only had him for a week & he's never eaten very well? Its possible you purchased a sick fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #3 
NikiKnot

Excuse me, I've had him for about two. Miss-typed there, I apologize.

Church and Texas are kept on the same table -- A glass table, which is over a heater so no, the tanks have no heater of their own but stay pretty toasty. Both tanks are about 75 degrees.

There is no filtration system in Texas's tank but she gets her water changed much more often than Chruch do to the size, and that Church has a sort-of under-gravel filter in his own tank. While I try to limit water changed to once a week Texas usually gets hers done every three to four days.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

We need more info and pics....Copy/paste/complete this sticky on both Bettas and add to this thread....The more detailed info the better....

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ons-you-49233/
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiKnot View Post
Excuse me, I've had him for about two. Miss-typed there, I apologize.

Church and Texas are kept on the same table -- A glass table, which is over a heater so no, the tanks have no heater of their own but stay pretty toasty. Both tanks are about 75 degrees.

There is no filtration system in Texas's tank but she gets her water changed much more often than Chruch do to the size, and that Church has a sort-of under-gravel filter in his own tank. While I try to limit water changed to once a week Texas usually gets hers done every three to four days.
75 is on the cool side for a Betta, you should have a heater in each tank to keep the temp steady 24/7. Does each tank have thermometer to monitor the water temp? They should be in 78-80F water. His tank water should be changed more often as well. I have a 2.5g (slightly smaller than yours) tank & I do 2 50%+ water changes per week with a 100% every 2-3 wks. If you're running the underground filter, try turning it off for a while to see if that makes any difference with his behavior.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 
NikiKnot

As I said in my first post, Church's last water change was Friday and that I change the water once a week.

I did go out yesterday and look for a heater small enough to heat his tank. I could not find one, so where may I find this?

Also, as of this morning I regret to inform everyone that Church has passed away. :C
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

So sorry he passed away. As for the heater, I buy them at Petsmart or petco usually, you can order online through amazon.com, petsolutions.com, drsfostersmith.com. If you get one that is FULLY submersible you can put it diagonal or horizontal which is what I had to do with the heater in my 2.5g.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 
NikiKnot

The tank was plastic, would that be safe to do?

I will likely end up moving Texas into this tank because it is bigger and she will have more room, after the tank is cleaned, of course.

Tags
church, lethargic, pale, sick