Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #1 
laur3namb3r

pruning plants?

Hi all, I have two plants in my 5 gal tank...an onion plant, I think, and some type of lily? Excuse me if I'm wrong, I'm not a plant person. :p

Anyway, my lily has started growing like a weed sine I put it in the tank a week ago, and the size of the leaves are perfect for Copernicus, he LOVES swimming and hanging out on them...he even made started to make me s bubble nest yesterday! My only concern is the plant shot up two stems of floating leaves, and I don't want them to take over the tank. I love the plant, and I don't want to have to take it out, since Copernicus is loving it.

Is there a way I could trim those stems so they don't produce the floating leaves? I realize the plant will keep doing it, but I don't mind trimming them. I just don't want to kill the plant in doing so.

I have uploaded a picture so you can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks all!
Attached Images

laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

I personally just pinch off any leaves I don't want as close to the roots/base of the plant as I feel like getting. Not sure if that is the right way, but it is easiest and quickest for me.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #3 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I personally just pinch off any leaves I don't want as close to the roots/base of the plant as I feel like getting. Not sure if that is the right way, but it is easiest and quickest for me.

Yep this is the way to do it with the lily, I remove the leaves and their stems as soon as a leaf gets to the water surface... I made the mistake of leaving mine to its own devices and ended up with 20+ leaves blocking out the light to the rest of the tank and learned my lesson! The lily will continue to produce new leaves as you pinch the older ones off.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 
tekkguy

If you can get some small scissors in there, the clean cut will keep the plant a little healthier, without having to worry about crushed or smashed stems.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 
laur3namb3r

Thanks guys! When changing the water yesterday, I removed the two, plus another one that was sprouting. Tekk, wish I saw your post earlier! Crushing the stem won't potentially kill the plant, will it? Next time I will use scissors or something else to make a clean cut. Thanks!
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur3namb3r View Post
Thanks guys! When changing the water yesterday, I removed the two, plus another one that was sprouting. Tekk, wish I saw your post earlier! Crushing the stem won't potentially kill the plant, will it? Next time I will use scissors or something else to make a clean cut. Thanks!
No, that's unlikely. Either way, the plant has to repair the damage. The cleaner cut with scissors just means the plant has to expend less resources to heal the damage.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote