Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #31 
Chevko

While this thread is going I wanted to throw you guys a question...

So, I didn't do full research like an idiot when I was filter hunting. I got my filter alright and it's exactly the one I wanted but... for some reason I thought it would come fully equipped. Uh. No. Silly me. What air pump or air stone system thingie would you guys recommend for me to use with this? It's a Hydro I. I have utterly no experience when it comes to pumps and the like. I only have better ideas with power filters over these weird thingamajigs.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #32 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Tetra Whisper pump is cheap and as quiet as they get at that price....especially if you wrap it in a towel and hang it.

Silicon airline tubing is easier to work with than neoprene and just a few cents more.

I use a 1" long airstone. The Hydro is nice because you can install the airstone easily. Splice it under the airline base with a small section of tubing.

A larger filter is always better than a smaller one. It can grow a suitable colony faster. I know they're ugly, but...

You can also use a mat of Java moss at the surface to catch bubbles and cut down surface ripples. Makes a flow-adjuster unnecessary.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #33 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I agree that this should be a sticky! Wonderful thread!

A quick question though. I ordered a few sponge filters online (they were a couple of bucks each, less than the sponges at the cheapo store, haha!) and ordered two different sizes because I wasn't sure which would be best (the measurements were vague, it was eBay after all). Now they've arrived, one kind is teeny tiny, the other is massive in comparison to my 3.9gal tanks! Which of these would you recommend for a tank of that size (which will decrease in capacity slightly with the addition of gravel and more plants/hardscape)?

Small: 2.25" x 2"
Medium: 3.5" x 4.5"

That's not including the weighted bases and tube, just the sponge measurements. If I were to use the larger one, I'd have to saw some of the tube off, and sand it down smooth for it to fit under the water surface...

I wouldn't want to not have a large enough unit in the tank, it'd defeat the purpose of having one in the first place, but wow, is the "medium" big for where it'd be going! Heh.
The smaller one would be fine for the tank your putting it in as long as the only resident of the tank is 1 betta.
An example of how this works is simple. The BB colony is supported by how much ammonia is in the water. The more fish creates a larger 'bio-load' which needs more BB to handle it. On the other hand, if you have 1 fish, your bio-load is smaller and requires less BB.
If you had a tank with say 10 fish and you took 9 out, some of your BB would actually die off as there is not enough ammonia to feed it all. You can't have more BB than ammonia to support it. Natures checks and balances system is pretty effecient!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #34 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
While this thread is going I wanted to throw you guys a question...

So, I didn't do full research like an idiot when I was filter hunting. I got my filter alright and it's exactly the one I wanted but... for some reason I thought it would come fully equipped. Uh. No. Silly me. What air pump or air stone system thingie would you guys recommend for me to use with this? It's a Hydro I. I have utterly no experience when it comes to pumps and the like. I only have better ideas with power filters over these weird thingamajigs.
I'll defer to Hallyx on this one as I really have yet to find an air pump that I am crazy about. So far, to me, one is pretty much the same as the next.
I do agree silicone tubing is ALOT better than the cheaper plastic tubing. For the pennies difference it's definately worth it!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #35 
Chevko

@Hallyx & waterdog
Thanks so much on the tips! Would you suggest then PetCo's brand of tubing? It's more expensive than the tubing from PetSmart. /shot

@Hallyx
I went with the smaller one for size, rather than appearance. I keep putting the tank so much smaller in my mind that this one I feel most comfortable with. I'll probably wind up upgrading it after a period, but until then... Plus it took me ages to find a place that sold the I version and not for too bad a price, even with shipping included. I will definitely keep the moss in mind, too :3 Hoping to establish plants before I get the fish put in.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #36 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
@Hallyx & waterdog
Thanks so much on the tips! Would you suggest then PetCo's brand of tubing? It's more expensive than the tubing from PetSmart. /shot
Both places sell silicone tubing, but I do prefer the petco brand
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #37 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
The smaller one would be fine for the tank your putting it in as long as the only resident of the tank is 1 betta.
An example of how this works is simple. The BB colony is supported by how much ammonia is in the water. The more fish creates a larger 'bio-load' which needs more BB to handle it. On the other hand, if you have 1 fish, your bio-load is smaller and requires less BB.
If you had a tank with say 10 fish and you took 9 out, some of your BB would actually die off as there is not enough ammonia to feed it all. You can't have more BB than ammonia to support it. Natures checks and balances system is pretty effecient!
Thank you for the response!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #38 
Vizja13

Sticky vote! I've been looking for a DIY guide. <3 thank you!
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #39 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizja13 View Post
Sticky vote! I've been looking for a DIY guide. <3 thank you!
Thank you for the vote Vizja, but I have given up hope of this ever becoming a sticky. Guess I am not worthy.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #40 
Chevko

omg. So. I have my airpump, my hose and my filter. I was wanting to ask you guys, after looking at the end result image in the first post if I had this put together right.

I have the hose connected to the, er, hose... connector... male part on the filter with the tube around it. Other end is connected to the pump. Did I do this right? D: I'm nervous that this won't go properly and don't want to fill the tank and turn it on to see. It seems fool-proof, but... eheh. be my luck...

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter