Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #21 
Bluewind

2 Bettas sharing 1/2 gallon of water? YIKES! 2.5gallons per betta is the minimum recominded water volumn per fish. I've heard some people can pull off 1 in a 1 gallon. How are you keeping the amonia and everything in check? Especially after feedings. And does it have filtration?

Now I'm not dogging you hun. Those fish survived much worse and at least are getting cared for now. Take good care of them, do frequent pwc (I would scoop out 30-50% every morning after feeding and another smaller 1 in the evening without cupping them), and work towards something that the will work better.

The price for a bigger setup isn't bad. Walmart sells plane 10 gallon tank for $14 and an unlighted genertic cover for $7. You can use a desklight with good cfl bulbes to light it until you could put in lights. Filter would be optional (but I do recomend). Heater to keep it proper temp (unless their water never drops below 76 degrees). Termometer. And 2 dividers (diy or bought)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-29-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #22 
RuniChan

Also no I don't have a filiter, I really can't afford it, but I'll be getting a heater for a small tank soon.
RuniChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #23 
Bluewind

They look much better hun! Have you noticed their personalities coming out yet?

That's part of the reason I was telling you about the cost of a 10 gallon. You would only need one heater (probably the same price as one for the smaller ones) instead of 2. You could have 2 dividers in it (there are plenty of do it yourself instructions out there if you can buy them) and give each boy 3.3 gallons or you can get the cross kind that quarters the tank into 4 sections. The 4th section could be left open (where you would place stuff like filters), stocked with shrimp (who are so much fun!), or used as a place to add your own betta.

By the way, here is a list of necesities...
*All must have never have been used otherwise
1. Turkey Baster (good for spot vacs, dropping food low, moving stuff, and taking water out for accurate water tests)
2. Sponge and toothbrush (to clean stuff off orniments. use old tank water)
3. Glass jars/objects (make good cheap hiding spots which make them feel safer)

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-30-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #24 
Bluewind

4. White Vinager (to dilute and clean glass jars/objects with if they have EVER touched soap. Wash with vinager water and rinse well)
5. Water Conitioner and Declorinater (even if you have well water, there could be heavy metals. Tetra Plus is easy to measure for small tanks)
6. Amonia tests (yes I know there are others you will need, but this one is the most important for you. liquid tests are cheaper in long run, but if you get strips, cut them in half longways to make them last)
7. Salt (you should have both aquarium and epsum salt because each treats most diseases that can affect a betta and they can be treated for up to 10 days with salt meds. One type is for internal diseases and one is for external.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-30-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #25 
RuniChan

Yeah, I'd need to make room for them first, a friend of my gramp's might have a big enough tank, and I can keep this tank for isolation or hospital or something such as. Thanks so much for the checklist! Most of that is on my list of things to get for my fishies.

And oh yeah, I've noticed their personalities since I first posted about them. Sasuke is one hyperactive little betta, so curious and can barely stay still. Yoshi is... well... mean? Protective? flares very easily such as at my finger. Naruto is kinda mellower and doesn't flare as much, he's just really wary. hehe
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #26 
Bluewind

lol! They sound like a bunch of cutes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #27 
Mandy Pandy

Awesome names and so glad you saved them! Really if the kids weren't stepping up the parents shouldn't have let those poor fish get that bad or give them away to someone else (although I guess they eventually did!)

I may have to steal the Rasengan and Chidori name ideas... I still have unnamed girls for my sorority ^_~
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #28 
RuniChan

Haha they are, I'm kinda at a love/dislike relationship with yoshi ^^''

Be my guest!! ;D Someone needs take those amazing names!

I need to get that 10 gallon from my gramps' friend soon...