Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #1 
teddy1997

My Betta Can't Eat?

Okay i'm sorry i don't really know how to work this site, so i hope starting a new thread was okay. I've had my betta Teddy for almost two years, and he's never had a problem like this before. Lately i've noticed he hasn't been eating. He doesn't look good, his colour is nearly all faded from his fins, his body colour is dull, he never does flips in his bowl anymore, and his eyes look oddly bulgy. Thats not the entire problem though, i think my betta fish has forgotten how to eat. I haven't seen him eat in over a month, but i still put food in every day. Maybe he is sick or has a disease and might just be unwilling to eat? The thing is, he tries to eat. He gets excited and swims to the top when i get the food out, but when i put it in, he lunges for it and just can't seem to get it. For a while i thought he might not be able to open his mouth at all, until i noticed he was making a weird motion with it - almost as if he was yawning (does anyone know what that means when they do that? he's never done it before) But when he was trying to eat, he was trying with the wrong part of his mouth, you know how bettas have a little upside down 'U' for their mouths, and then a little bit above that they have another bigger upside down 'U' that kind of separates their whole mouth from their body, and they can extend it? Well instead of opening his mouth, he is extending the upper part of his mouth to try and eat food. And recently i've noticed the gills under his mouth have some white on them that was never there before? And the gills on the side of his face have gold on them that has also never been there before? I'd also like to add that never once have i seen him poop, it could just be invisible to my eyes but i was very concerned when i first got him, but seeing as he has lived for almost two years now i figured he was fine. I looked through so many symptoms but i couldn't find one that fit perfectly, i'm so worried about him, please help!
teddy1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #2 
SharkyTheBetta

Hi there and welcome on BF!

Can you please fill this form? These information are very useful. Also a photo would be very useful too.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #3 
sainthogan

The gold sounds like velvet and the white sounds like a fungus. Please fill out the above form so we can help you better.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, disease, eating