Arch

Wink Choosing a nice female for my Betta

Hi guys, I was just looking for a female Betta for Zeus. This is his image:

Potential females:

1)

2)

3)

4)

Need some opinions on which female to choose, why and what would the potential spawns looked like? I'm currently looking at white and purple.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 
Myates

The first one has too much red wash for my taste.. would probably result in multi colored.

The second is too cambodian, a mix of cambodians and multis most likely with her. She looks to be gold, so you would definitely have a big variety of colors with her.

The third isn't so bad - would probably get a mix of cellophanes and different blue hues and possible some green hues. She looks to have a bunch of red wash to her as well, so probably will end up with multi colored thrown in.

I like the last one - may get some red wash in the fins creating some multi colors, butterfly patterns, and different shades of blue/purple.

But there may be other colors in the mix depending on the background of each fish. Personally I would go with #4, then #3, #1 and lastly #2 as my choices (from favorite to least). The only thing I personally am not a fan of is the brown in #4, but that isn't a big issue, and just my personal preference. indjo would be good to contact (if he doesn't come to the thread himself) when it comes to what to expect from these mixes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #3 
Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
The first one has too much red wash for my taste.. would probably result in multi colored.

The second is too cambodian, a mix of cambodians and multis most likely with her. She looks to be gold, so you would definitely have a big variety of colors with her.

The third isn't so bad - would probably get a mix of cellophanes and different blue hues and possible some green hues. She looks to have a bunch of red wash to her as well, so probably will end up with multi colored thrown in.

I like the last one - may get some red wash in the fins creating some multi colors, butterfly patterns, and different shades of blue/purple.

But there may be other colors in the mix depending on the background of each fish. Personally I would go with #4, then #3, #1 and lastly #2 as my choices (from favorite to least). The only thing I personally am not a fan of is the brown in #4, but that isn't a big issue, and just my personal preference. indjo would be good to contact (if he doesn't come to the thread himself) when it comes to what to expect from these mixes.
Hi Myates, thank you for your response. I shall have an idea of what to pick next and how to differentiate between females. :)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 
Myates

Good luck.. also keep in mind it's fun to have a "lets just see what I get" match too.. unless you are looking for something specific.. I'm placing a pure black male with a cambodian girl who has purple and blue fins as a "lets just see" pairing lol.

Sometimes you will be surprised with what you get from a spawn (unless you have been working that line and know a couple/few generations of lineage in which then you can expect more of a certain type). I'm no expert by any means - so that was just my personal opinions/guesses.. Other than my oranges and whites, I have a mish mash of colors to "toss" together because I want to see what I can come up with :)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Any of the above female will probably give you multi colored fry. I'd go with #4
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #6 
Option

I vote for #4 as well. But she sure does look beat up! WTH happened to her???
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Any will do but #3 and #4 are the ones I'd use. Followed by #1 and #2.

So:

MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #8 
Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I vote for #4 as well. But she sure does look beat up! WTH happened to her???
I have no idea. The last time I saw them was all of it were in a sorority tank. Hmmp guess most people vote for #4. :)

1) Btw, do you think #4 worth anything close to $6.40?

2) Generally, what would be the prices for female Betta if the parents or genetics remains unknown?

3) What type of female Betta is this? A normal plakat?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #9 
aemaki09

1. yes
2. depends on the quality --form and finnage.
3. look like halfmoons.

also, If you want some quality fish where genetics are known, i'd check aquabid.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #10 
Myates

That isn't a bad price for her, or for a female altogether. I just paid $15 each for some HMPK girls the other day.

It depends on what the breeder wants.. generally would like to know the genes, but not necessary.. if the female is one that they really want, they will pay whatever the asking price is without a background. If the fish is store bought, then that is when the price could matter a bit more - some people won't pay much for store fish, others it doesn't matter as they are willing to work the line to get what they want if the female is what they are looking for.

May be HMPK.. not all HM females will have a 180 spread, or close to it.. if she is HM or HMPK you are most likely going to end up with long finned HMs, super/deltas.. you *may* get a PK in there, but generally the long fins take over.

Tags
female betta