Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #1 
buddysbestie

changing the water in the bowl

i have had buddy for 4 days now and love him to death! its almost time for me to change the water in his bowl but not sure on what is the best way to do it! any suggestions? this is my very first betta and i dont wanna screw up to the point where i might loose buddy!
buddysbestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #2 
xst3ph90x

What size is his tank?

I have a 1 gallon tank for my betta. I did a full water change yesterday because I went out and bought him a plant. You're not supposed to do this because it can put your buddy into shock. I've always done full water changes because I didn't know until recently that your not supposed to, so my betta is used to them. Since it's only been 4 days, you should take your fish out with a net (I don't have a net, so I use a cup instead (if you're going to do this, make sure you wash the cup really well in hot water with NO soap). Once he's out put him in a container (which is why I use the cup), and put some of the old water in it. Then take out about half of the water in the tank. Then fill it tank up again with tap water and then use water conditioner. You're supposed to let the tank sit for a day or so before putting your betta back in, but some water conditioners say it is ok to immediately put your fish back in. I usually let the tank sit for about an hour. Then slowly drain the water out of the cup that your betta is in, and slowly place your betta back in his tank.

That's how you do a successful water change. If you have a really small tank, then I would suggest doing a 100% water change. (I've been doing them for a long time, and my betta has never had any problems)
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #3 
Little-Fizz

Depending on tank size, its hard to say.

Like if we are talking a 1 gallon bowl, then use a turkey baster and suck some waste off the bottom of the bowl then change maybe 50% of the water. I would never recommend a 100% water change. And the smaller the bowl the more frequent the water changes have to be, so I would do 50% say every three days? And thats probably generous. Honestly if your working with a bowl that small I would just recommend getting like a 3-5 gallon tank with a heater and filter and cycle it then let your fish live in there.

Just remember, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. Where your changing 50% of your water every three days on a 1 gallon bowl, you could be changing 25% every week on a 5 gallon... Plus your betta with thank you in the long run.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #4 
Meatpuppet

You dont have to take him out for water changes that will just stress him out. use a turkey baster or aquarium tubing as a siphon and suck out water and waste at the same time. i agree with getting a bigger tank (at least 2.5 gallons) with heater (5 watts per gallon) and filter. it will be easier for you bcuz your not alway changing water, and you fish will be happy and live longer.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #5 
stephenmontero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpuppet
You dont have to take him out for water changes that will just stress him out. use a turkey baster or aquarium tubing as a siphon and suck out water and waste at the same time. i agree with getting a bigger tank (at least 2.5 gallons) with heater (5 watts per gallon) and filter. it will be easier for you bcuz your not alway changing water, and you fish will be happy and live longer.
i have to agree it might cost a bit more in the beginning but over time it will make your betta much much happier
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #6 
nav2008

turkey baster :)
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote