Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #11 
kfryman

OFL has been at it for a long time and also here plants are grown in her conditions and since they don't change to often, she can easily swap plants out into different tanks without melt and adjusting to the new tank conditions. That is usually when you get the spike. Cycled media should help.

My tank looked awful when I first set it up, you learn as the tank progresses and you change it accordingly. Sometimes you end up with success sometimes it is failure, though usually you can turn the fail around it just takes work.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #12 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Oh awesome! I'm so glad to hear that, I was a bit nervous about it, lol. I have some other CFL bulbs that are more light bulb (round) shaped that are also 6500K but don't know if those would fit in my hood so hearing that the one I bought will work is excellent. I will say that my plants have definitely perked up today - most of them had been floating in other tanks before I set this one up so they were twisted weird to get to the light. Now I'm waiting for my crypt to melt....lol I trimmed the roots before planting and am kind of regretting that now. The crypts I have in my other tank are totally melted, it's kind of disappointing when that happens.

By the way, your banana plant is ridiculous (in a good way)! I have one in my 29 gallon which is doing well - has sprouted two leaves since I got it - but the leaves are so small compared to yours! It must be because it has so much further to travel to get to the surface/light.
Haha! Thank you, the largest leaf is roughly 3 inches across or more, my betta has taken to sleeping on the leaves that are closest to the surface xD

I have no idea why it's so large, I'm just in love with it. Melt is normal, I've had the hardest time with my water wisteria :/
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #13 
carbonxxkidd

I've been learning a lot about taking care of live plants in aquariums since I set my 29g up a month ago. I know what you mean about it looking crappy at first and then starting to look better! My 29g is finally at a point where my eyes don't automatically focus on the sad, melted crypts anymore, lol. Pretty much everything else is thriving though, so I have hope.

Melt is normal but so sad, lol. I bought a potted wisteria plant at Petco for my 29g and was very excited because it already had roots and so I thought it might do better than my other stem plants. Well, the roots melted off! I freaked out, lol. I ended up just trimming the melt off and replanted the stems and now my wisteria is going crazy. I bought another small wisteria plant for this NPT and immediately cut the roots and part of the stem off (they were a bit tall anyway) and I can definitely tell they've perked up since planting. I'm almost wondering if the plants I've bought at Petco have a better chance because they are already in water similar to mine in hardness etc?

My banana plant has leaves that are like an inch across, lol. It's doing well but is mostly really tall stems with little leaves...I can't even really see it in the photos I've taken of my tank but it's there...

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-17-2013 at 09:05 AM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #14 
carbonxxkidd

Here's a couple pics I took yesterday.

I figured out how to turn the flow wayyyy down on my filter so everyone is happy now. August really must love glass surfing though because that's pretty much all he does. He'll stop to eat and then just keeps going...he must really love all the extra room!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #15 
carbonxxkidd

August in his tank

I took a video of August in his tank. Is it normal for bettas to glass surf like this? He literally hasn't stopped since I put him in there (except to eat). The ghost shrimp even join in! I did a 20% water change today which did not affect their behavior at all and water params are normal. I'm hoping he is just seeing his reflection and he'll learn to ignore it soon...

Also, does anyone know anything about anubais? I bought a piece of driftwood with anubais attached at Petco. One of the leaves is turning yellow and is a bit torn and another leaf has a hole in it...should I remove those or leave them?

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-17-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #16 
twolovers101

My PK, Shosta, glass surfed for a long time, like upwards of a month or so, only recently has he stopped and just begun enjoying the other space in his tank (it's hard to catch him doing this though, because every time I walk into the room he surfs the front glass trying to get my attention and feed him lol)

I think it's because they were in those little cups for such a long time and then finally have all this space to "run" around in and use their muscles and they're just so excited about it that they don't really realize that there's more to it xD (if that makes sense at all)

I don't know much about anubias... mine have all melted and died on me... it's weird, the plants that are supposed to me low maintenance die on me, and the harder ones live it up I guess I'm just backwards... :P
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

Maybe it's just a PK thing? Haha, I do agree with you though, I think they really love having the extra swimming room. I have noticed that August doesn't glass surf as much with the lights off, so I'm really thinking it's because he sees his reflection. Unfortunately I have to keep the lights on a timer for the plants so hopefully he'll just get used to it soon. Nice to know it took yours a little while before he calmed down. :) I know my CT and HMDT both do it when I'm in the kitchen by their tank, but I catch them "hunting" quite often too, so I'm not as worried about them. I guess as long as August keeps looking healthy I won't worry too much!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #18 
carbonxxkidd

Thought I should update this thread - babystarz was kind enough to hook me up with a bunch of floating plants and other things last week. Here are a couple updated photos:
This one was taken 1/25:

And this was taken today - holy cow do those floating plants multiply fast!:

August is really starting to fill in - his pectorals are getting nice and long! He still flares at himself constantly, but doesn't glass surf as much as he used to. One of my ghost shrimp has a belly full of eggs now too, which is pretty cool. I think this is starting to become my favorite tank, I love NPTs so much more now! August loves his jungle, too. :)

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-28-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #19 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Thought I should update this thread - babystarz was kind enough to hook me up with a bunch of floating plants and other things last week. Here are a couple updated photos:
This one was taken 1/25:

And this was taken today - holy cow do those floating plants multiply fast!:

August is really starting to fill in - his pectorals are getting nice and long! He still flares at himself constantly, but doesn't glass surf as much as he used to. One of my ghost shrimp has a belly full of eggs now too, which is pretty cool. I think this is starting to become my favorite tank, I love NPTs so much more now! August loves his jungle, too. :)
XD Now you know I wasn't kidding when I said I'm throwing away cupfuls of duckweed every week! It's nice that the floaters spread quickly though, they use up the ammonia so efficiently. Just have to keep them from blocking too much light for the other plants, it's a balancing act!

I would go ahead and remove the anubias leaves that aren't doing well. They should pop right off at the base where they connect to the rhizome - chances are the plant has stopped feeding the leaves already anyway. If you continue to have issues with the anubias, play around with dosing iron and or potassium and see if that helps. My java ferns are being like that and I'm hoping the iron supplement I ordered takes care of things. I will let you know if what I bought works.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #20 
carbonxxkidd

Yeah, I haven't gotten any ammonia readings at all on this tank yet, which is amazing! I really like the floaters, I actually saw one of my shrimp hanging out in the frogbit roots yesterday!

Thanks for the tip with the anubais, I haven't been able to figure out what to do with it so it's just been slowly getting worse, lol. The one leaf in the back is definitely dying, but the one in the front that has the hole in it is just a little yellow and otherwise looks okay. I'll probably remove both though, because the rest of the plant just looks so nice and they're ruining it, haha. I actually just bought some potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus supplements for my other tank, didn't even think about iron though...I do have Flourish complete though and I think that has iron. I'm trying to avoid using ferts in this tank, but if other stuff starts to look bad then I will try them. Definitely let me know if it helps your java ferns!