Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #1 
Mermaid

Thumbs down Houdini fish

So yea bad me, owner of houdini fish apparently. Just gave me huge scare. Looked at his lil tank he's always at the front and everywhere and checking out me and everything. But he wasn't there or anywhere in the tank. I totally panicked. Looked all around the outside of the tank. I've heard they can jump and always kept lids on. His lid was on but been having probs with new heater going bad i think? anyway left the back teeny lid pushed back a lil to see the heater light better. water high almost flush with wall between filter/heater area and tank. teeny hole slot above filter area. So that's where he was. teeny area where cups, nets, lids, etc won't even fit back there. had my fingers in trying to coax him into hand with stuff. He was afraid wouldn't come stayed in bottom of filter for quite a while. Finally got fingers under him slowly and he jumped back into tank. Whew. He seems okay thank goodness. My nerves so frazzled! We had peacock gudgeon long time ago that loved to jump into filter even with lid and everything so thats how i knew to stick finger in there see if he was in bottom. Now i'm worried about lil air hole/slits in the lid. He's so tiny strong and curious he can get anywhere apparently
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #2 
KevinPham123

Wow, I would have definitely panicked if any of my fish did that :L. Glad it's ok.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #3 
via

you are one lucky person. a couple of years ago, i used to have 3 fighters in different jars with cardboard on top that were used as lids. somehow, they all jumped out in the middle of the night and were long gone. i knew that they were long gone because there were mouses in our house that love to travel at night and eat random things. i think they became dinner for the mouses because i couldnt find them in the morning anymore.
via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #4 
laur3namb3r

My baby Copernicus did the same thing to me! The very first day I got him, I placed him in his tank and realized the current was too strong, so I unplugged the filter and took everything out so I could see how to baffle it. Well...I wasn't paying attention to what Copernicus was doing, and had no idea he'd be so curious to swim in the hole where the filter goes. I reassembled everything and started putting the filter down in the side until I realized I couldn't see him any more and then saw a flicker of green underneath the filter! Scared me half to death! He just swam back up and out of the hole like it was no big deal. Silly fishy...
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote