Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #11 
Laki

I think it's a sin that you intend on keeping them this way to be honest. Why not try to improve their lives? People here with experience and advice on sororities have suggested that death will likely result in this kind of setup for them.
(*it's late so I'm getting inhibited, sorry if it's too blunt)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #12 
BettaIsCute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I think it's a sin that you intend on keeping them this way to be honest. Why not try to improve their lives? People here with experience and advice on sororities have suggested that death will likely result in this kind of setup for them.
(*it's late so I'm getting inhibited, sorry if it's too blunt)

But I don't intend on keeping them this way. I do want to put them in a larger tank eventually.
BettaIsCute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #13 
eemmais

They really should not be kept in these conditions. I think the best thing for you to do is get two ten gallon divided tanks or one twenty gallon divided four ways. They also need a heated tank. I understand that you will get them a better tank eventually but you really should do it soon.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaIsCute View Post
But I don't intend on keeping them this way. I do want to put them in a larger tank eventually.
This is an advice forum, and based on the members experience and knowledge, we do our best to give you the very best advice for your advantage and for the sake of your pets. That said, no one is going to recommend that you keep them in their current conditions even temporarily as it is eventually going to spell disaster.

The minimum number of girls you can keep together safely is four Ina minimum of 10 gallons, and sometimes that doesn't even work out. Bettas are generally aggressive fish and each have different personalities - some can't even be in a properly set up sorority. Some are just more aggressive than others.

They are your fish, therefore you can do what you wish under your own discretion regardless of what we tell you, but the best thing for the fish is either to get another female and put them in a ten gallon or separate them until you can do so.

Personally, I would divide the 2.5 gallon with plastic mesh and get a different one gallon for the other female until you can get the ten gallon. Once you do, it's best to try to get the girls into the ten gallon and move the male to the 2.5 as 2 gallons is really the minimum for a long term tank for one fish.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #15 
Aluka

even if they get along, 3 bettas in one 2.5 is too crowded =<

i would go to petco and pick up a one of those plastic critter keepers for the 3rd girl, and divide the 2.5 for the other 2.

when u can get a 10g, then get another girl, some plants and clay pots. Let all the girls float in the 10g overnight so they get use to each other. Let them in one by one, from least aggressive to most aggressive. Watch them like a hawk. Use ur fish scoop to break up fights that are too aggressive. Flaring and chasing is fine. If one is too aggressive, then cup her over night, and try again.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #16 
aemaki09

you know, just because you dont see them fight, doesnt mean that they dont fight. They are probably taking body shots if you havent noticed new fin damage.

Just because you have had them a few months and you havent seen any fighting doesnt mean that they are going to get a long forever. You mentioned they do kind of flare at each other and flaring is a territorial display, meaning they arent getting along as well as you would like to think.

You should either get a 1 gallon for the other female or return her. then divide the 2.5 that your existing 2 are in. After you do this, do everything you can to get a 10 gallon tank so that you females can have a proper and good home, and move the male you just got into the 2.5

Also, I really hope that since you bought these guys you have bought a heater for them.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but it sounds to me like you arent interested in taking other members advice so I'm trying to get the point across in as straightforeward of a way as I possibly can.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you still wish to keep them together when you get a bigger tank, you could go ahead and separate them now and keep them separated until you get the bigger tank. Also, they need lots of hiding places to be able to get away from each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #18 
BettaIsCute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
you know, just because you dont see them fight, doesnt mean that they dont fight. They are probably taking body shots if you havent noticed new fin damage.

Just because you have had them a few months and you havent seen any fighting doesnt mean that they are going to get a long forever. You mentioned they do kind of flare at each other and flaring is a territorial display, meaning they arent getting along as well as you would like to think.

You should either get a 1 gallon for the other female or return her. then divide the 2.5 that your existing 2 are in. After you do this, do everything you can to get a 10 gallon tank so that you females can have a proper and good home, and move the male you just got into the 2.5

Also, I really hope that since you bought these guys you have bought a heater for them.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but it sounds to me like you arent interested in taking other members advice so I'm trying to get the point across in as straightforeward of a way as I possibly can.

This tone is unwarranted. I came here for the purpose of asking questions.

As for my original 2 fish, I think you misread my post. When I first got the fish, and put them in the same, 1 gallon tank -- 4 months ago -- the flaring only took place at that time. They remained in the same tank for all that time, up until I put them in a 2.5 gallon tank yesterday. Those 2 fish don't flare at each other at all anymore; they only did this for a brief period of time when I first got them. I have watched these fish constantly for long periods of time (Such as when I got back from the store today at 7:00 PM till now, at 1:30 AM). They never fight or flare at each other. Sometimes they swim on their own, other times, they swim together and touch each other without incident. They don't fight, so I was surprised that my purple fish started attacking my new red one that I put in the tank today almost instantly, in front of my own eyes. My blue fish did absolutely nothing at all. Do my original 2 fish flare and fight? Maybe they do and I am not there to see it. At the same time, I do like to watch my fish a lot, and I don't witness any such behavior, and I have a hard time believing that they only fight when I'm not looking.

If my fish don't get along, then I could probably put them in my mom's 10 gallon tank. Yes, there are some fish in there, but they are only babies, non-bettas, and there are only a few left anyway. The only reason why I hesitate to put my Betta fish in there is because of those baby fish. When I took my red fish out to stop the fight, I did actually put it in the 10 gallon tank for a short time, but I was afraid that it was going to go after the other fish. My mom has been wanting to get rid of those baby fish anyway, because all they ever do grow up and make another set of fish, and die, and the whole things repeats. She wants some colored fish, so perhaps I can put mine in there. I'll look into it tomorrow.

What I don't understand is all the conflicting information I'm getting. Some sources say 3 or more females are necessary, while others say at least 4. Some say a couple gallons is good for 2 fish, while others say 5 gallons is necessary, or 10 gallons, or even 20 gallons 'minimum' in some cases for those same 2 fish. Some say a filter and heater are a must, while others say it's optional. I read that making the new fish visible but inaccessible to the fish of an established tank is the way to introduce the new fish, while I'm being told here that it's wrong. I'm wondering what your take on breeding is, since some methods I have seen include using a container, much like my own, to keep the female in view of the male, but unable to get to her, in order for them to 'get used to' each other. What makes your information more correct then other Betta owners' information?

I'm sorry if *I* sound rude to you, but I don't like being talked down to.
BettaIsCute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #19 
Aluka

No one is talking down to you, we are all just passing information that we found in our experience.

The issue is that, it is possible for 2 fish to get along for months sometimes even years. But from experience, sometimes one year later, the 2 decide they dont like each other and kill each other over night. This has happen many many times before.

What these poeple are trying to say is, Yes your two fish gets along, but that doesn't mean they will always get along. All of us is trying to prevent the same thing that has happen to others before happen to you. i.e. come home one day and find one of your fish dead. I mean there might be a chance your two fish will get along forever, but do you want to risk your beloved fish's life on the chance that your two fish is the 1%?

And you are correct, keeping them in view is a way to get them use to each other. It is a way we use, before we add them to sororities. But, its not ideal to have 3 bettas in a 2.5 gal, not because we say its is not ideal. But from our own experience. Each fish will produce waste, 3 fish is 3x the waste. Unless you are changing the water every day, thats too high of a bioload. If you dont want to listen to us, buy an ammonia test kit. You will see that after a 100% water change, Ammonia will be 0, in ur 2.5 and ur 1g (with one boy), but after 24 hours, test it again. You will see that the ammonia in the 2.5 with 3 fish, is much higher than the amomonia level in the 1g with 1 fish.

That is the reason why ppl say what the minium for how many fish is. Because ammonia levels are deadly to them, the more fish, the more water change u have to make. Unless you are ready to change water everday and never missing a day, it will be unhealthy for your 3 fish to live in such a high ammonia environment.

I hope you understand
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #20 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaIsCute View Post
This tone is unwarranted. I came here for the purpose of asking questions.

As for my original 2 fish, I think you misread my post. When I first got the fish, and put them in the same, 1 gallon tank -- 4 months ago -- the flaring only took place at that time. They remained in the same tank for all that time, up until I put them in a 2.5 gallon tank yesterday. Those 2 fish don't flare at each other at all anymore; they only did this for a brief period of time when I first got them. I have watched these fish constantly for long periods of time (Such as when I got back from the store today at 7:00 PM till now, at 1:30 AM). They never fight or flare at each other. Sometimes they swim on their own, other times, they swim together and touch each other without incident. They don't fight, so I was surprised that my purple fish started attacking my new red one that I put in the tank today almost instantly, in front of my own eyes. My blue fish did absolutely nothing at all. Do my original 2 fish flare and fight? Maybe they do and I am not there to see it. At the same time, I do like to watch my fish a lot, and I don't witness any such behavior, and I have a hard time believing that they only fight when I'm not looking.

If my fish don't get along, then I could probably put them in my mom's 10 gallon tank. Yes, there are some fish in there, but they are only babies, non-bettas, and there are only a few left anyway. The only reason why I hesitate to put my Betta fish in there is because of those baby fish. When I took my red fish out to stop the fight, I did actually put it in the 10 gallon tank for a short time, but I was afraid that it was going to go after the other fish. My mom has been wanting to get rid of those baby fish anyway, because all they ever do grow up and make another set of fish, and die, and the whole things repeats. She wants some colored fish, so perhaps I can put mine in there. I'll look into it tomorrow.

What I don't understand is all the conflicting information I'm getting. Some sources say 3 or more females are necessary, while others say at least 4. Some say a couple gallons is good for 2 fish, while others say 5 gallons is necessary, or 10 gallons, or even 20 gallons 'minimum' in some cases for those same 2 fish. Some say a filter and heater are a must, while others say it's optional. I read that making the new fish visible but inaccessible to the fish of an established tank is the way to introduce the new fish, while I'm being told here that it's wrong. I'm wondering what your take on breeding is, since some methods I have seen include using a container, much like my own, to keep the female in view of the male, but unable to get to her, in order for them to 'get used to' each other. What makes your information more correct then other Betta owners' information?

I'm sorry if *I* sound rude to you, but I don't like being talked down to.

I wasnt talking down to you and I mentioned that at the end of my post that I was trying to be straight foreward.

+1 Aluka

the size of tank members recommend to others always depends on the persons experience level, their fish, etc. For beginners, the bigger the better as it means they have more forgiveness if you forget to do a water change or your parameters get out of whack. For experienced people less room can be okay as well, because they know what they need to do. But for a sorority, 99% of the time in our experience we need atleast 4 girls in atleast 10 gallons, with tons of hiding places and decorations to break up the line of sight to avoid fights.

Last edited by aemaki09; 02-01-2013 at 03:06 AM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, female, fight, purple, red