Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #181 
AyalaCookiejar

One thing I told myself was that the fish get shipped to the store so there isn't a big difference shipping to my house. I got express shipping instead of priority so it required a signature... Since no one was home, the girls went back to the post office and didn't sit out on my doorstep. I got them in below freezing weather, all three healthy after 2 days in the mail and having to stay overnight at the post office. They still looked better than any pet store female I have ever seen. This was the first time I shipped live fish to myself so I wouldn't let it get you down if you see a fish online you really like :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #182 
Mandy Pandy

I know how it is being impatient to put the girls in. Honestly if my plants were a little more grown I would be tempted to put them in the big tank a week early. But since I'm really hoping my lily will take off soon I'll be a good girl and wait the full two weeks. ;). My lily sprouted its first little leaf today! It has several shoots coming out of it but today is the first day I noticed an actual leaf small though it is.

My little lily <3

And a bonus picture of Belle! (She still looks like a girl right? I'm worried about those growing fins XD)

Last edited by Mandy Pandy; 01-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #183 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol, I'm so not good with sexing them but I ordered mine from private breeders so I figured they must know, right? I always look for the egg spot, but IMO Belle has the body shape of a female. I have seen quite a few girls with longer fins like hers :)

I have had my current three girls since the 11th in one gallon temporary tanks. I'm obviously not going to put just three in the tank, but I am planning on QTing the new girls for at least two weeks. I'd love to have them all in the big tank right now but I'm way too paranoid to take chances. I love my girls too much to put them in danger by being impatient D: I'm sure they'd love the extra swimming space but they are getting daily water changes and two of them are still very tiny. My biggest girl (Okami) is recovering from fin rot because she had some damage on her caudal fin from shipping. She is healing very quickly, though, and all three are super active and spunky :) Okami is a jumper, too!!! All three are voracious eaters but the smaller two haven't jumped yet. I get a little nervous to open Okami's lid, lolololol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #184 
Shadyr

I have discovered that Christmas, one of the three original survivors, has quite the knack for jumping. It's gotten so that she seems more interested in doing a missile strike on my finger than actually paying attention to the food during feeding time. She's like a mini flying fish! A couple of the others like to come up and nip at fingers, but nothing like her! She worries me, actually. Weekend project: Going to see if I can fashion a craft mesh insert for the hood opening where the tubes and wires go in.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote