Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Raised scales on face?

One of my new girls, a red dragon, has pineconing scales on her head and gills but not on her body?

I got her on the 11th, she had some fin damage from shipping that turned into fin rot so I've been treating her with AQ salt since last Friday.

Yesterday the power went out while I was at school and the temp in the tank dropped. When I got home it was 77 degrees but its back at 79 now, an it likely dropped below 77.

She was a little lethargic last night (but swam around fine when I approached the tank) but now she is active and she's been eating fine, but I noticed those raised scales just on her face, head and gills. I don't understand this... Could it have something to do with her being a dragon scale? Or could it be dropsy? Why is it just on her face?

I am very concerned about her :(
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 
Syriiven

I would do warmth and epsom salts first to see if it helps. I'm really sorry she's not doing well =( But if she's not lethargic at the moment and acting more normal, I'd take that as a sign you can save her still (in case it is dropsy).
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm just confused as to why its JUST on her face :/ her temp has warmed back up but I have no clue how cold it actually got..
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It could be normal since she is a dragon scale, but to be honest i don't know that much about dragon scales since I have never worked with them. With that said, since it is isolated to just the head area and she is overall acting okay-It might not be anyything to worry about. How much and for how long have you been using the aquarium salt. Is she in QT for the treatment and what are the water changes and re-dosing method you are using. I assume you are using tannins from your PM's. Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't have IAL yet, she's been on AQ salt since Friday and I used less than 1tsp per gallon because it was healing well with just that. She is already in a one gallon temporary QT tank since I got her recently. She also has a small amount of stress coat. Daily PWCs.

I'm at school and have to work right after so I might be able to try to get a quick picture with my phone in a couple hours but I won't be able to get one with my camera until after work in about 9 hours...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I just got home from school and she was being lethargic sitting in the top front corner of the tank completely still at a weird angle. When I approached and she saw me she started swimming around rapidly like she normally does making it hard to get a picture!

This is the best one I got and I'm in a hurry to get to work. I know I can get better ones on my camera. It looks worse on her gills than on the top of her head here in this picture...

You can see it on her underside too but it doesn't extend to her body.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Hmm.......I really am not sure. I don't think she's pineconing yet...and lethargy could be something else. Like stuck in a qt tank ^^; So it may be normal lethargy....but I'd definitely wait for someone with dragonscale know all to come by.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Often times isolated pineconing/raised scales is the result of external parasites under the scales or a localized bacterial infection under the skin. I would think that AQ salt would be enough to treat any external parasites (flukes etc).

Is her breathing normal? She's not "gilling" or having heavy movemen with her gills? Are any fins clamped?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 
Caii

I hope she's alright! Fingers crossed! : <
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Her fins are clamped and starting to become transparent. Also, I don't know what "gilling" means, but she's not breathing heavily and her gills are opened sort of... I can't explain it well. It looks like her face is swollen.

Her fins started becoming slightly transparent on last Friday when I noticed the hole in her fin and started the AQ salt. Everything else wasn't until last night after the power outage... I'm going to go check on her now as I just got off work and honestly, I'm a little scared of what I will find...