Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 
Flounder33

Hello everyone! I have a couple of questions...

I have been looking at all the great tank setups because I want to buy my male betta Flounder
a new tank. I have read a lot of reviews and i'm pretty set on this one

mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-5-gal/20693704?page=seeAllReviews

Anyone have this tank? Also I have had my betta for over a couple of years now and he is in a big fish bowl and I use store bought spring water for his bowl. It's room temperature so I just clean the bowl and add the new water. He has always been fine. I guess my question is that now that he will be in a 5 gallon tank should I use tap water and put in the water conditioner or keep buying spring water? I'm scared that change will kill him. Also he has never had a heater should I get one? Will he be ok with the filter on low even if he isn't used to one? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance
Flounder33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
MrBubbles

I have that tank and my oldest betta LOVES it. make sure lots of silk plants (plastic scratches a betta beautiful fins and live plants die.
If you change the water, change it slowly, like changing 10% the 1st time so the betta gets used to it. Then change 20% of it, and so on.
If you live in the cold, yes get a heater. Temperature should be between 76 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
The filter would be best if it's a low setting because the current would carry your poor betta away.
And try to get a couple of caves for your betta. I have Squidward's house for mine, ne sleeps in it :D.
MrBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I couldnt see the tank in the link for some reason, but if its the one I'm thinking it is, I've heard great reviews on it, and actually bought it for myself but ended up returning it after finding a better deal.

As for your tap vs. spring water dillema. I'd ease into tap water slowly. Using spring in a 5 gallon tank would be expensive over time! Just get like 4 gallons instead of 5 one week, then 3 the next, and so on so forth....that'd ease him into it slow enough.

You should definitely get a heater and thermometer. a 25watt adjustable would suffice, 50watt is recommended. (eheim jager, or hydor theo are highly recommended. I love my Theos!) You will be very surprised by how much more active he becomes.

As for the filter, if its on low he should be okay, but if you notice him getting pushed around by it a little too much then remove it, and if you still want a filter switch to a sponge filter, which has practically no output but still has enough area on it for you to cycle your tank.

Goodluck!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #4 
Flounder33

Thanks a lot! I think I'll just buy a lot of spring water since that is what he has always had. I didn't know about the plastic plants, thanks for the tip. He does currently have a castle, I want to get a cage bridge and some SILK plants today. If I add a heater will the change in temp shock him?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #5 
MrBubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder33 View Post
Thanks a lot! I think I'll just buy a lot of spring water since that is what he has always had. I didn't know about the plastic plants, thanks for the tip. He does currently have a castle, I want to get a cage bridge and some SILK plants today. If I add a heater will the change in temp shock him?
Change the temp little by little!
MrBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #6 
Flounder33

Ok so if I buy 4 gallons of spring water and fill the rest with tap is that okay? Should I use the water conditioner too?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #7 
Flounder33

Ok, I got the new 5 gallon tank and he's in his new home. I used spring water so I didn't treat the water. He didn't look like he liked the filter at all! Is it okay to just not use it or should I turn it on for a little while here and there? How often does a 5 gallon need to be cleaned? Thank you guys so much! He probably thinks he's dreaming or died and went to heaven. Such a big upgrade, even from a large bowl.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #8 
Saphira101

Here's a link to a DIY filter baffle:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #9 
Flounder33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Here's a link to a DIY filter baffle:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Thanks for the baffle idea, I did it but I want to make sure I did it right. I have the whisper filter where the water just filters over a lip and I have it on the lowest setting. So my cut water bottle is vertically over the whole top of the filter but it presses against the water flow. Is that okay?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....

Lots of different ways to keep, breed and rear fry successfully-its finding what works for you, your breeders and what you have on hand....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response-We have lots of members ready and willing to help....(We encourage lots of questions so don't hesitate to ask and start new threads)

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote