Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 
Perry the platypus

I Have Depression

Here's how it started: I was persuading Mom to buy a SIM for my phone and she said, "No!". Well, I got mad and went back into my room. A few seconds later, mom walked in and took away my no-cell-service phone. I got mad and I refused to talk to her. So...I need help getting my phone back. But I'm already losing hope. Please help me!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Hey Perry,

I don't think you have depression, I think you're just dealing with some troubles at home. It is a perfectly normal child/teenager life. It's happened to all of us. My parents never gave me a cell phone unless I had stellar grades. I'll be doing that with my children as well. It really teaches them the value of hard work.

Is there any particular reason why your mother took your phone? How old are you?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
PaulO

Thats not depression...depression is when you don't want to get out of bed in the morning because life just sucks... you can't even lift a finger to get started on the day and zero motivation. What you have is called being grounded, deal with it. We have all gone through it (some people more than others) at one time or another but it does help us become better and more responsible people. Your parent's are trying their best to raise you right and I have to give them credit. I am a teenager and I always get a little disgruntled when I get grounded but I when I do get grounded is ALWAYS for a relevant reason. Plus to look on the brighter side you now have more time to enjoy the REAL world and more time to spend with your pets. Just tough it out listen to your parents and you'll have your phone back in no time at all. *actions speak louder than words *

Last edited by PaulO; 01-30-2013 at 05:17 PM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Try being really nice to Mom and ask her if she needs any help with anything. If she does need help do it right away. Worked on me with my kids, I could never stay mad at them for very long.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah that is not depression. Depression is more than just feeling sad about something like a phone being taken off you.

I don't really think there is anything you can do to make your mum give back your phone. A parent-child relationship is not a democracy, and sometimes no is a complete sentence.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #6 
registereduser

You are 10 years old, right? I'm sure you did/said something disrespectful to cause your Mom to do that.

Listen to your parents.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
Thats not depression...depression is when you don't want to get out of bed in the morning because life just sucks... you can't even lift a finger to get started on the day and zero motivation. What you have is called being grounded, deal with it. We have all gone through it (some people more than others) at one time or another but it does help us become better and more responsible people. Your parent's are trying their best to raise you right and I have to give them credit. I am a teenager and I always get a little disgruntled when I get grounded but I when I do get grounded is ALWAYS for a relevant reason. Plus to look on the brighter side you now have more time to enjoy the REAL world and more time to spend with your pets. Just tough it out listen to your parents and you'll have your phone back in no time at all. *actions speak louder than words *
+1

I didn't get a cell phone until I had a job to pay for it, and even then, my mom would take my phone away. Often violently.

I was diagnosed with severe depression when I was 14, this is characterized with thoughts of suicide, or self-harm, being withdrawn from others, emotional and physical PAIN. There's days where I end up sleeping half of the day because I can barely move. Even when you're happy, it almost feels like a fake feeling, because past the first couple of layers, you still want to curl up in a ball and cry, but you can't, because you're too sad to even cry.

The medications often make things worse. That's why I need a therapy animal, it helps me to function, and that's a vast improvement from only getting out of bed to feed my son and go to the bathroom.

There IS situational depression. Or as I like to call it, disappointment. But real depression is a horrible thing.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks like you got some good advice here, Perry. They didn't have cell phones back in my day. Maybe give it a day or two and talk to your mom about it if she still has your phone.n As much as you might dislike it she's your mom and you need to follow her rules.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 
thekinetic

It's not the end of the world, calm down. I'm going to hold back a lot of things I could say because it would help nothing. Just wait it out is all I can say, you won't thank them later and it's not good or bad for you. It just is and because your parents said so and you can do nothing but take it.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow but what can you do right? It's not depression but like others said just disappointment, and no amount of anger will help it. Just find something else to bide your time with and take it with stride and you'll get it back in no time. :)
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 
SnowySurface

I will add this bit about having depression. Depression isn't always as simple as not being able to get out of bed in the morning. Someone can be mildly depressed and be pushed over the edge by something simple (like having a phone taken away). So stop and think, are you feeling extremely sad or has losing your phone made you mute? If it's the latter, you may what to get a diagnosis from a doctor instead of a forum. ^_^;

Now...As for the phone...analyize the event that caused you to lose it.

Why were you asking for a SIM card in the first place?
Did you simply get mad and leave or did you get mad, shout something, and then leave?
What do you mean by no-service-cell phone? If that means it doesn't work then why have it? Who are you call?

There is a chance that what you consider "persuading" you mother saw as "begging/whining" and what you see as "walking away mad" she saw as "temper tantrum". In short, you could have lost your phone simply as the result of miscommunication. With the answers to those questions you may be able to dicuss getting your phone back and getting the SIM card in a calm manner.

Instead of persuading, start a discussion about the SIM card. Why do you need it? How would having the SIM card help you with school/friends/culbs/ect.? If it's done calmly, you won't get upset if your mom says no anyway. Whether you get a yes or no about the SIM card, you should at least get your phone back in its original form.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote