Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #41 
Maddybelle

I do really like the Bettas4all standard, and I think that that would be a reasonable place to breed toward. I prefer, and I think a lot of folks agree with me, a VT with a wider caudal than what you see on most pet shop fish. I have a grizzle boy with very nice form, IMO, unfortunately he has chronic bloat. Doesn't seem to bother him, but I'd be wary of breeding him.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #42 
Skyewillow

I also have to agree, not a fan of super droopy, pointy tails. I like the full and rounded tips.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #43 
Dragonlady

If enough breeders show veiltails bred by themselves in the variations category, I am certain that the IBC would be more likely to consider a set of different standards to help restore the original IBC show betta forms and colors. After all, the VT betta was the original IBC betta.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #44 
Myates

I really want to do a red VT line - blood red coloring.. also cambodian VTs - working on a black cambodian HM/HMPK line (pale body, black fins), and hopefully see about bringing that over into a VT line as well.

But, that is if Basement Bettas gets the IBC president position.. if VTs aren't brought back into IBC shows.. then there is no point as too many people have such negative feelings towards VTs in saying they are sickly, etc.. no one will buy them as readily. But if we can bring out some wonderful VTs and prove they are just as healthy and pretty as all the rest.. then I would breed them in a heartbeat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #45 
dramaqueen
Banned

A cambo with black fins would be gorgeous!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #46 
LadyVictorian

Hmmm, been looking at Hollow and thinking if I ever bred show quality vt's I would start with him but not sure. He has serious fin rot and ammonia burn damage so his fins haven't come all the way back in but here's a picture of him as they are now.

LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #47 
Basement Bettas

He looks like he has some HM in him as he is more delta than traditional VT. That standard has a more arched and droopy tail and more angular lines. Your fish has more balance often found in the HM's. He is a neat fish and does not look like he has much damage at all. You are doing a great job with him if he has fin rot.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #48 
Myates

That is what I thought when I saw him.. definitely not a VT.. possibly a mix in the line somewhere. I do love the blue in his red fins :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #49 
LadyVictorian

I was actually told by the original owner he is half giant and half vt. The guy bred him himself from petsmart, petco, and walmart fish. Hollow is a pretty large fish though does not qualify as a giant himself as he is not near close to 3 inches.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #50 
Hadoken Kitty

Once I breed my fish for the first couple of times, I plan to join IBC. I would LOVE VTs to be in, mainly because I want one of my lines to be DTVT. Would be multi-color misc as of right now...Have a gorgeous pair right now (have male in tank next to me, but female is comming soon).

I'm beginning to get pretty excited that one of my future lines might actually be showable. ^_^
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote