Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #231 
Aoicat

No, the Aqueon 10 isn't adjustable. So the sponge helps reduce the flow significantly. My betta is free to swim pretty much anywhere now. You can still see the flow if he swims in front of the filter, but it doesn't shoot him across the whole tank now. I've only had it running for about 3 months or so, but I run the regular filter cartridge and the sponges and I've never had any problems with the pump overflowing. It also does seem to work better with the water level at the level of the sponge. As the water level drops you get more current from how far the water has to fall to hit the surface.
Aoicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #232 
Tikibirds

Not sure what the GPH is but its rated for up to a 20G tank.
Here is my actual aqueon 10.

I have some plants in front of it to help break up the outflow even more. When i do the WC's I refill it up to the filter foam baffle but within a week/wee and a half - the water level drops by about 1 inch. It amazes me how much the water evaporates out of the tank in lie a week!

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #233 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Are the yellow sponges safe? You know the ones with the abrasive green side and soft yellow side? My mom got me a pack a while back but I never used them so I'm wondering if they are safe or not. I'm scared that they might be treated with bad chemicals or something like that....
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #234 
Tikibirds

are you talking about a kitchen sponge? Not sure if it has chemicals or not.
I would get aquaclear filter foam since it is ment for aquariums. Or any other brand of aquarium foam.

They aren't expensive - maybe $3 max depending on the size you get. You can cut them up if need be and they can squish into any size. I also have them inside my tetra 10i filters, not as a baffle but inplace of the filter pads.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #235 
Aoicat

You don't want to use those scrubbing type sponges. They're too dense to work in a fliter. You need a filter sponge like tiki posted.
Aoicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #236 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Okay great I'll add it to my list lol. I have a coupon at Petco and I haven't gone there in a while :D

Thanks for the help!
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #237 
White Mage

Thanks! I did this yesterday and it REALLY helped! I just got a new betta and the poor thing was being pushed around by the corrent from the filter ;c

Now she's really happy, she even flared her gills yesterday! :D You can hardly even see the water bottle under water!
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #238 
MadreMonstruo

Just did this tonight. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Gilly is one happy little Betta tonight sleeping in his Hammock that he hasn't been able to sleep in without being washed off.
MadreMonstruo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #239 
deesseau

Baffle works great

Thank you for this baffle idea. I have a Dynaflo 10 in a 5 gallon tank, the water is
pristine, but the current was a bit too strong for comfort. I was lucky because the baffle on this filter doesnt not need any support or tying, it holds by itself
Attached Images

deesseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #240 
Tikibirds

Pretty tank :)