Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #31 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
New life spectrum is the best, bar none. Regardless of what anyone else said, it is not about natural ingredients. A hamburger is made of natural ingredients, and how great is it for you?
NLS seems to have natural ingredients anyways...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #32 
deso

Let's put it this way: imo, not all foods made out of natural ingredients are healthy. Most foods made out of unnatural ingredients are unhealthy. The main benefit of NLS is that most, if not all of its ingredients are whole. There's no by-products or "meals" in there.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #33 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Let's put it this way: imo, not all foods made out of natural ingredients are healthy. Most foods made out of unnatural ingredients are unhealthy. The main benefit of NLS is that most, if not all of its ingredients are whole. There's no by-products or "meals" in there.
Yeah but I think it's definitely good that there are no dyes in the food :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #34 
deso

Agreed, finnfinn, my comment was intended to support your opinion ;) And it has none of those creepy hormone colour-enhancer things that you see so often in fish food.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #35 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Pandy View Post
I feed NLS and Omega One Buffet pellets and I also give frozen brine shrimp and blood worms.

I'm also a pet food snob and do lots of research on what's the best to feed my animals.

Kytkattin, what food do you feed your cats? Sounds like it would be an awesome add to my ferrets' mix. Like cats, ferrets are also obligate carnivores. Mine eat a mix of Evo Turkey/Chicken, Wysong Epigen 90, and Ziwipeak Lamb kibbles. They also get freeze dried beef and lamb patties that are 100% meat. They also get fresh raw on occasion. :)
What I feed my dogs/cats (all the same formula) is basically just plain old raw. I add some supplements as well since it is just chicken leg quarters and liver. There is a website called catinfo.org that was put together by a vet and I use her recipe. It is a great website too, if you have a cat, read it!!! Before only one of my dogs was on raw because she did well chewing the bones and everything, but the cat won't eat enough bones unless you could source whole small prey like mice, so I had to buy a meat grinder so I can grind up the bone. Now, between my three they eat a pound of my mix a day and it costs me less than a $1. It takes about an hour to grind it all up for 2 weeks. I would grind more at a time, but I don't have room in my freezer!

Before the switch I was feeding the cat Nature's Variety Instinct canned. I used the dog cans because they are larger and most cost effective (and also the same formula as the cat cans, which is unusual), but that was still costing me over $1.50 a day just for the cat! I am a poor college student, I can't hardly afford to spend that on myself. Plus he was finicky about eating it. I would have to mix in sardines to make it taste better. Now he eats the raw like it is his favorite thing in the world!

Currently I am working on sourcing live prey for my bettas. I just started a fruit fly colony, and I hope to do maybe fairy shrimp in the future. Not sure if I will ever be able to feed them only live, but that is my goal. Just like my dogs/cat on raw, they always seem to have better energy when I feed them more whole foods instead of dried out stuff. Though I also add Vita-Chem to make sure they aren't missing any vitamins.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote