Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #1 
Irishdancer

Has anyone used this heater?

My heaters don't seem to be working very well, so I'm thinking of replacing them. I'm thinking of getting this kind, because it's the only one I can find in my price range that is adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The reviews on Amazon are very mixed, so I was wondering if anyone here has tried it and can tell me if it's good or not? Or if anyone can suggest another heater for 2-3 gallon tanks at a similar price?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #2 
Laki

At best you will want one that is totally submersible. I used to have an elite years ago that snapped on to my tank. It worked for the few years I kept the tank. But again, submersible ones are just as cheap and adjustable :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #3 
Caii

I have an Aqueon submersible heater that's adjustable and has an automatic shut-off~ I paid $10 for it on Craiglist, and I'm unsure about it's price in the store (about $22 depending on the website.) However, even though the heater was used when I bought it, it works like a charm and Bo is warm and happy!

I'm unsure about the heater you were asking about, but if that doesn't work out, I would definitely advise an Aqueon submersible heater.

I'm sorry if this was less than helpful, but I wish you the best of luck! ^^
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #4 
MSG

That is ONE old heater. The design is at least 20 years old. I was somewhat surprised to see they actually still sold them. I can get those vintage heaters "brand new" never used for about $6-$7.

50W-100W models.

Make sure if you use that type of heater to NOT allow the water level to drop too much. With not enough water, that heater will overheat & crack the glass.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

They have a Hagen elite model that is fully submeriable. I have 3 of them. If you have a tank under 5G, I recommend it because it is only 6 inches tall and will fit into bowls and Kritter Keepers. Most other heaters are too tall to fit. I have a 25 watt marineland stealth heater in a 3ish gallon and it barely fits.
Not sure why it says preset, it is adjustable

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A748

edit - just say the price on that site. I got mine for $12. Ebay might be a good place to search.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-25-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #6 
Irishdancer

Okay, definitely not getting that one then, it sounds like it wouldn't really be any better than what I have now.

I'm not having any luck finding anything on eBay, but I'm considering this one from Petsmart. Does anyone have any input on this one?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #7 
breezywillow

In the same boat as you Irishdancer, I have a Tetra 50W submersible heater for my 2 gal and it has been keeping my tank at about 76, rather than the 78 its supposed to, when I came home today and the temp was at 72!! My poor Weebles was really lethargic just sitting on the bottom. I had to stir the water around with a spoon to get the heater to come on. I'm really confused on which brand to buy now and hope you get some good advice on which brand to get. I'm not sure about you but I'm looking for one around $20 since my husband is still a little sore that my around $20 fish buy has now turned into more like $100 fish buy lol I have tried ebay, amazon, petsmart and walmart and all the bad reviews on all the heaters have me really scared to pick one.
breezywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #8 
InfiniteGlory

Irishdancer, I have the 25W version one you posted from petsmart. I have used it in a 3 gallon 360 degree round tank and now in a 4 gallon square tank. I want to say it's around 8 to 9 inches tall from bottom to top of adjustment knob. so that should give you an idea if it will fit your tank.

As for performance I have nothing bad to say about it.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #9 
bamsuddenimpact

The Elite Submersible (25w and 50w) ARE AWESOME. Use in all my tanks
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 
Kwomais

Thumbs up Yup, works OK

I have the 50W version of the first one in my 5 gal (because it was brand new and free lol) and while it does keep my tank temperature at a constant 81*, I have found that it tends to run a bit cold, so I have to turn it up higher than I would have thought. I tested it for about a month before I added any critters to the tank (intentionally... the snail infestation was unintended) and I have no problems with it. Although, as people say, you'll want to watch your water levels so that they stay at the thermometer's min water line.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote