Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Exclamation Massive open wound, betta fight injury?

SO hello again everyone! I of course (after my big mystery disease scare) decided that I would adopt only healthy bettas (since I was planning on only buying females I haven't really looked at any males). Well I've broken that rule...

Today at walmart I went to go check on everyone. Thankfully there were only a few but I of course saw this guy with a HUGE open wound on his side. It looks like he was put in with another beta and then left to die. I managed to get his price down to 2.50 (I think they sell them for 7.60 or something) and now he's sitting in his cup in my 2.5 gallon tank. After my huge scare with the two girls I got from petland I decided I would ask you guys about him before I put him into my 2.5 gallon tank. I know that a betta will not heal properly if he has any serious disease. I just wanted to know exactly how to handle him before I put my girl in danger!

Here are some pictures that I managed to take: (P.S. I think that the fluffy stuff is just him trying to heal his body) Also I never found another betta that he could have fought with so I have nothing to back up my betta fight story

BUT A NOTE: To possibly back up my story, he is in a crown tail cup but he looks like a veil tail to me? And there were two bettas that were put in a 0.5 with a divider and the cups were gone.

Last edited by Roemgie; 02-01-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: To add more information
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Ugh! I need some help or advice!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would keep him in the small temporary cup he came in and start a high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and tannin treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1large/crushed) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min-Shake well before use...

Using this treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
Tomorrow-start 50% daily using the treatment water for 10 days.

You can float the QT in a heated tank to maintain temp-I recommend low normal for treatment in the 75-76F range.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals...

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 
Mermaid

ah poor thing. Looks like you got good advice, good luck
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would keep him in the small temporary cup he came in and start a high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and tannin treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1large/crushed) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min-Shake well before use...

Using this treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
Tomorrow-start 50% daily using the treatment water for 10 days.

You can float the QT in a heated tank to maintain temp-I recommend low normal for treatment in the 75-76F range.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals...

Good luck and keep us posted....
He passed away yesterday :( thank you for the advice though! He didn't move much and I believe he was in a lot of pain and ready to go
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
ah poor thing. Looks like you got good advice, good luck
Thank you! He unfortunately passed away yesterday a few hours after I brought him home :(
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #7 
Mermaid

ahhhh i'm so sorry :(
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote