Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 
Aroe

Exclamation Stop Fighting?

I have a sorority of 3 fish.. 2 get along great, but there's one that picks on everyone. How can I safely intergreate her and stop her from biting and flaring at the other females?
Aroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

In a sorority of three the dominant fish will usually pick on the others. Sometimes two fish will harass the weakest individual until she either is injured, killed or has to be removed.

You really need a minimum 4-5 bettas for a sorority to work. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to stop them fighting as you don't have enough females to spread the aggression out more evenly amongst them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 
Aroe

Okay. I removed her. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Just be careful your two remaining females don't start to fight (if they are still being housed together). Sometimes females can be fine together for a long period of time and then decide they don't like each other. I would usually not recommend housing only two females together as these fish are just so unpredictable.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 
Aroe

Well actually I had another female in a seperate tank and I'm floating her in a bag in the tank now. I also put put the other female in a bag. We'll see how that works out.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A sorority MUST have at least 4 fish...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

Agree to all! I started with 1 female, then 2; everything was great for about 3 weeks, until attacks started. I hurriedly set up a 29-gal sorority & moved the aggressor into it before I felt the 29 gal was ready. I had more females on order from Aquabid. I medicated the tormented fish alone in a hospital tank; she is fine now. Long story short: I now have 9 happy girls in a big tank. They love chasing each other, but it seems more like play. I hope to add a few more: I've heavily planted the 29 gal & set up a 10-gal hospital tank. I want more bright yellow/orange females (I have 1 now & I love the color!).
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #8 
Aroe

I added all 4 to a 20 gallon with plenty of hiding places and doing well so far! We'll see what happens... I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 
Xaltd1

LOL, Malatov! I tried to keep all my names short & descriptive so I could remember them.
"Unpredictable" is the key trait w/ bettas, I'm discovering. I think that's why we love them. Other fish school together & follow the leader, but bettas all have their own ideas about how the tank should work. The meekest fish can turn into a little terror overnight. I think I posted before that I make use of "timeout" tanks. Whenever I'm in Walmart, I pick up one of those tiny $3.99 acrylic divided betta tanks. They fit in the top of the larger tanks so the offending fish can float there and be humiliated. I will dump the fish back in occasionally (and at feeding time) until she's learned her lesson. It works, but I make sure she's really causing damage. Everyone gets to bully a little bit; when it goes to their head, it's "timeout"!
P. S. those tanks are very handy; it's worth having a few on hand. You can use jars, but the rectangular shape, divider and cap make them great for working with fish. Rather than spending $40 for 10 all at once, I toss one in my cart whenever I'm buying my cat's Fancy Feast! I have also made a habit of buying extra nets: the small ones. Each tank needs an "emergency net" handy, b/c you never know when one betta drama queen will make a leap for it and winds up on the carpet!!!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #10 
Aroe

Thanks so much everyone. I'm keepin my eye on em'! Yeah Malatov's the fiery one hence the name, always bossing everyone around XD I think I'm going to try to pick up a few more females, keep everyone docile