Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #1 
Roemgie

Should I get them???

Hey guys!!

So there was this BEAUTIFUL white female I instantly fell in love with. Of course her auction closed before I was able to do anything. I did contact the seller but it has been a few days and no replies :( so I am trying to move on and I've found these two girls!! I already placed a bid on one (it was kind of not thinking much type bid >_<) But I then thought about the white female I had seen not to long ago and I went searching for her...and of COURSE I found her. And just a few minutes ago I thought her auction had closed.

So I am planning on bringing my 10 gallon here by the beginning of March AND I have two 2.5 gallon tanks with heaters that i could put them in while I wait for my 10 to cycle (and for quarantine purposes). I would probably divide their tank into 3 (since I know the minimum is 4). Is this a good idea? School will be ending for me about the second week in May and then I'll be home for 3 months so they'll have plenty of time to settle in. I've traveled with 4 fish at a time before to get here so I feel that I can at least do it again safely.

CYCLING QUESTION: Ok so I was curious, if I lowered the water level to about 50% or so would my cycle still work for when I get home? I have a 4 hour drive (3.5 depending on traffic) and I figured I could tape down the top to at least attempt to prevent spills. I was hoping that there was a way for me to transport either a 5 or 10 gallon tank (or both) and still keep my cycle alive. At least i was hoping the bacteria would be ok as long as I didn't do anything beside lower the level. (Of course the temperature would drop BUT I could keep my car fairly warm to attempt to make it all work).

Anywho after all that! Here are the two girls:

This one I just bidded on: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1359987003 I think she is so BEAUTIFUL :)

And the other girl I want: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1359990375

They are both so amazing!! And from the description at least they are young so that means that they will be healthy and will hopefully live for a while :) Maybelline seems fairly young to me so hopefully i'll have them all for a long while! (I've been told females live short than males....is this true???)

So I don't think I can take bids back meaning I will be getting a new girl VERY soon and as long as I keep my grades up my parents will be ok with it :)

Ok MAIN POINT: should I adopt another female? I have the means to move them into other tanks if the big tank doesn't work(which I doubt since I bet they'll love the space) and then later down the road I could adopt one more so that I could make it into a sorority tank. I was worried about doing that though because of traveling back and forth BUT I know who to contact so that over Spring Break and Winter Break I can get someone to come into my room and feed them while I'm gone so I don't have to do anything. Of course I would need them to be in a cycled tank if I were to leave them about a month alone (so that may not be the best idea). But if I cannot take my horse home I would like to stay here with him so that works for the best :) so it would be like 9 months at college and 3 at home. HELP lol

Last edited by Roemgie; 02-02-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Change a few things like misspellings
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #2 
Phaydra

If you can afford them and provide them with a loving home I say get both. I know I am so glad I did not pass up either of my girls. If you can work it out to have someone with knowledge feed them over the breaks then there shouldn't be much of an issue. As far as cycled filter media I think for travel it would be best to place it in a water proof bag with some of your tank water. A few hours in a bag shouldn't hurt them and it's not wise to move a tank with anything in it as the bottom could drop out. Also bag your substrate in a water proof bag/bags as well with tank water. Hope this helps and if you get the white female use the buy it now option. Will save you some wear and tear on your nerves.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
If you can afford them and provide them with a loving home I say get both. I know I am so glad I did not pass up either of my girls. If you can work it out to have someone with knowledge feed them over the breaks then there shouldn't be much of an issue. As far as cycled filter media I think for travel it would be best to place it in a water proof bag with some of your tank water. A few hours in a bag shouldn't hurt them and it's not wise to move a tank with anything in it as the bottom could drop out. Also bag your substrate in a water proof bag/bags as well with tank water. Hope this helps and if you get the white female use the buy it now option. Will save you some wear and tear on your nerves.
Yeah I'm going to just place a bid on her (just in case something comes up and there is only a day until she's off the market). But I really love elephant ears and I want to do a sorority tank so I'm in love with both of them :)

So I should put my sponge filter, gravel, and live plants all in baggies? And with transporting the girls, I'll get cups from some place for the new two but should I put them in their old water or should I do half new and half old?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #4 
Phaydra

Yes to baggies for all
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Yes to baggies for all
Ok awesome I hope that will work because I know my mom would kill me if I had more than one tank out -____- I'm hoping she'll allow me to bring them home! I might need to take them to a friends house lol