Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 
BearMitten

Need a Betta Check-up?

Hello everyone, I feel as if I am over reacting mainly because I have poured through alot of posts on this forum and feel as if I am one of those people who self diagnoses every week because they are constantly on Web MD or something. Here is my Betta, his name is Atlas. He is a king betta and I got him 2 weeks ago at Petco. He is very reclusive and spends the majority of his time hiding under rocks. He has a few "forts" around the tank and I rarely get to see him. He is in a 60 gallon tank with Neon, Black, and Rio Di Genaro (probably spelt wrong) Tetras. I have yet to see him flare and he spits up his food most of the time when I feed them all. Being my first betta I simply want to give him the best run possible along with a good experience for myself. Here are some pictures : )
Name:  Atlas1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Atlas3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  40.0 KB

I apologize for not submitting this the first time.
Housing
What size is your tank? 60 gallon
What temperature is your tank?80-81 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Neon,Black, and Rio Tetras on Placo and a catfish algae eater

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day with everyone else

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? It is not my tank but we have had one water change as the setup is fairly new
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30% I believe
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has become more colorful then when he was at petco
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? maybe this is just the way he is.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not to my knowledge
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea. Petco 2 weeks ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by BearMitten; 01-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
BearMitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 
Syriiven

I'm not really knowledgeable on the tank maktes...

But your betta should have a betta pellet and a live/frozen food to eat for a healthy diet. Omega OneBetta Buffet Pellets or New Life Spectrum are the best to feed bettas. And only 2-3 at a feeding.

Normal betta behavior is patrolling their tank, dancing, flaring and they should generally be active. Your bettas behavior suggests to me that he may feel crowded or like he's being harrassed by his tankmates.

Then again I'm not an expert on king bettas >.>
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
callistra

New tank? How did you cycle it? Cycling takes up to 2 months and you really need to keep a close eye on levels for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during this time.

Your tank should have a weekly water change of no less than 25% including a thorough rinsing of the gravel - more if it's still cycling.

He looks very stressed.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 
BearMitten

I think that I was in just to much of a hurry to get a fish and add it to the tank. It is not my tank so I dont monitor the details like I should. A 29 gallon is coming my way and I am planning to do a planted tank which I will move Atlas in to. All in all besides being stressed which is quite possible seeing as I was trying to get a picture of him with the flash, how does he look fin and color wise? how are eyes supposed to look?. Are flashes bad for betta's? I was in a hurry to get pictures up and find out how to help if needed.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
callistra

I'm sure they're annoying like they are to us but the flash didn't hurt him.

Try to find out more about the aquarium and spread the info about cycling and water changes.

His belly is gray and he is pretty clamped. I don't see rot or anything just stress which is why I think water parameters are out.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #6 
BearMitten

I am just checking in, it has been a little while since I first opened this thread and since then I have moved my betta to his own 10 gallon with a golden mystery snail and 3 ghost shrimp. He also is in a planted tank that is not fully cycled of course but I've been doing 50% water changes every other week and checking the water parameters. the ammonia is little higher then I'd like but Im not extremely worried because I have read that a new tank may not have perfect water parameters in the first 4-6 weeks. Here is a picture of him and I know that alot of you can read a picture of a betta for signs of good health better then I can at the moment. He also blew his first bubble nest 2 days ago : )

Name:  Resampled_2013-01-31_19-56-57_461.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  39.4 KB

Last edited by BearMitten; 02-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.