Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #1 
Roemgie

I'm in college, should I start a sorority?

Hey again!

So for anyone who knows I just adopted Maybelline (she is so BEAUTIFUL!) in the hopes of starting a sorority tank sometime soon. I have a 10 gallon (at home) and I will be bringing it up the first week in March (school ends the first week in May). I would love to get between 4-6 females in my 10 gallon. I have two 2.5 gallon tanks and a 5 gallon tank so when go back and forth I could settle at least 4 girls in all those tanks (obviously splitting the 5 gallon so no one fights). So anywho I was wanting to get a 5.5 (just in case) so I could house a total of 6 if need be (although my mom would hate me forever if I have 5 tanks out....she's already upset with my one....and I only have 3 heaters so I'd be spending about 40-50 dollars to get the other two (which I don't mind because I LOVE those heaters!).

So any who, I would have the ability to house the girls in other tanks while waiting for my tank to cycle but is it a good idea? Or as in, do you think I would be saving these girls or just bringing them into more stress?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 
shellieca

Personally if I were in college I wouldn't do it just because of having to move them so much. I would wait until I could set it up & leave it, not having to move them back & forth for school breaks or over the summer. I wouldn't want the hassle or to have to worry about stressing them too much.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Personally if I were in college I wouldn't do it just because of having to move them so much. I would wait until I could set it up & leave it, not having to move them back & forth for school breaks or over the summer. I wouldn't want the hassle or to have to worry about stressing them too much.
I was then thinking about just having two females (of course I just adopted a critical condition male betta from walmart so I may just have these two). In a divided 10 gallon tank and going form there. But I am worried about the stress I could bring and how I would handle 4 females!

Thank you for responding :D
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #4 
flyingpony22

In college I had a 2.5 gallon with my betta. I kept the plastic cup I bought him from the store with and would put him in there to transport him back home. It was pretty easy.

My roommate had a 10 gallon with assorted tropical fish. Really it's not too bad if you are only transporting them there and back once, but you also have to think about your breaks and stuff. I know my dorm kicked us out a few times over the spring semester cause they were closing the dorms for various breaks and my roommate hated having to bring the tank back and forth constantly. Eventually she just left the whole thing home cause it wasn't worth the effort. But it's up to you. You always could just kept the 10 gallon setup at school permanently and just bring the fish home during breaks and put them in the smaller tanks you have at home. Just a thought.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpony22 View Post
In college I had a 2.5 gallon with my betta. I kept the plastic cup I bought him from the store with and would put him in there to transport him back home. It was pretty easy.

My roommate had a 10 gallon with assorted tropical fish. Really it's not too bad if you are only transporting them there and back once, but you also have to think about your breaks and stuff. I know my dorm kicked us out a few times over the spring semester cause they were closing the dorms for various breaks and my roommate hated having to bring the tank back and forth constantly. Eventually she just left the whole thing home cause it wasn't worth the effort. But it's up to you. You always could just kept the 10 gallon setup at school permanently and just bring the fish home during breaks and put them in the smaller tanks you have at home. Just a thought.
Unfortunately unless I decide to work over the summer I'll be getting a new room for next semester so I'll have no choice but to bring everything home for the summer or store it some where. So that would be nice but I can't do that :( I think I may invest in another 2.5 gallon tank and heater maybe so that I'm case I do need to being them home Ill have small tanks instead of just the big ones
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 
flyingpony22

I meant permanently as in the full march - may semester. Sorry for not clarifying :P I expected you to bring them home for the summer.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpony22 View Post
I meant permanently as in the full march - may semester. Sorry for not clarifying :P I expected you to bring them home for the summer.
I was about to say hahaha what kind of college are you going to? Lol
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
cliffordsmom

I definitely wouldn't. It would be pretty stressful on the girls having to move them back and forth so much- and having to set up there tanks every time you went home/came back.

I have two males in a split 5g in my dorm. I love them both, but it can be such a pain in the butt to get them both home and redo their tank so often.
I'm going to just have to be content with this setup until I'm out of school and living somewhere a little more permanent. :P
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
aemaki09

Wouldn't be worth it to me. Bringing them home on breaks and then putting them all back in the sorority when you get back to school means a territorial dispute every time between all the girls that's a lot of in needed stress.
If I were you and wanted more tanks/fish, I'd bring down the 10 and divide it into 2-4 sections and leave it at that.
Sororities are best when you can keep them in one place long term.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #10 
majesticstorm

I wouldn't do it either. When you're going home for the breaks and stuff, are you going to take them with you or leave them at the dorm? Personally, I wouldn't risk leaving them at the dorm unsupervised since they might have some dispute while I'm gone (but then again, I've never had a sorority). If you're transporting by personal car, then getting the girls home and back would be easy. But if you are taking public transit, how are you going to carry them AND your luggage? Believe me, carrying my boy with me on a 6 hr train/bus ride home was terrible. I had to walk smoothly so that the water in his cup wouldn't splash so much. Lifting my luggage with one hand when I had to go up the stairs was scary since I was so scared I would drop him AND my luggage. Plus, my boy was probably stressing since the water was getting colder and the bumpy ride didn't help either...

I agree with the others above me: have one (or two if you want to divide the tank) and stick with that for now. Start a sorority once you're in a more permanent home. :) That's my plan.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 02-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote