Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Unhappy Bawling...

Hey. Sorry for posting this here, no one in my family wants to hear about it... My dog has been on a mouse-hunting frenzy and has so far caught two and killed one. I found her with the second one, chasing it around the living room. I tackled her and grabbed the tail and started screaming at her to drop it. Lo and behold, my parents were then at the door, trying to get in after telling me to lock it when they left. I got the mouse from Daisy, my dog, ran to the kitchen and put it in a container and slapped a lid on it, unlocked the door for my parents and ran to the nearest light to check out the mouse. My mum started freaking out because she hates mice and my dad rolled his eyes and left the room. I could tell that my dog had bitten through the mouse's abdomen and had broken it's leg. My mum was screaming at me to get it out and I tried to tell her that it was hurt, but she said that nature would do it's thing and for me to take it outside. I walked down to the woods by my house and opened the container and stepped back. Nothing. I dumped it out of the container. It sat there staring at me. I shooed it. Nothing. I picked him back up and took him back home and told my mum that I couldn't kill him in the -20 weather with a broken leg and a bloody stomach and she started yelling for my dad. That was when I put the mouse down and ran out the room bawling. I don't understand why this is bothering me so much. I haven't cried like this since I ripped a tendon in my shoulder and my friend jumped on my back. I'm the one who's the animal expert and picks up the dead animals outside when something happens. What is wrong with me about this stupid little mouse?!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

You said "what is wrong with you about this stupid little mouse", I will tell you now that there is nothing wrong with you.... you care and that is something to feel proud of not be ashamed of. The poor little mouse was suffering and you wanted to help it.... it isn't easy when sometimes our family does not understand about these things..... All animals have feelings and feel pain and fear just as much as they can feel love and contentment. Just because people label certain animals a 'pests' does not mean that these animals are just items to be disposed of they have feelings too.

I really look up to you for trying to save the little mouse..... you were the only one who cared while others would look on and do nothing. I found a baby rat once.... she was tiny about 3cm long and something had ripped into her nest and her parents had either died in the attack or abandoned her. I heard her crying and knew I couldn't just sit back and let something come along and eat her or let her starve to death so I decided to hand raise it. It was hard work like I had never known and physically exhausting being up every hour through the night sterilizing her feeding equimpent, mixing up formula and heating it to the correct temperature, I had no idea what I was in for but I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to. I named her Pumpkin and yes she is a wild rat that everyone considers vermin and a pest but I love her. She is nearly three years old now and I kept her as a pet.

Mum wasn't too worried about me hand raising her...... she used to be scared of rats and mice until she got to know Pumpkin and now she just thinks they are cute. Dad used to poison all of the rats and mice at our place, he hated them so you can imagine the fit he had when I told him determinedly that I was going to hand raise her and keep her as a pet...... it took about 3 days for him to get over it..... he really came to like Pumpkin and was offering to pick me up fresh formula from the shops whenever I needed it..... he hasn't poisoned them since and instead allows me to trap them with humane live cage traps and then relocate them in the bush away from houses where they won't bother anyone and no one will hurt them. It was a huge thing for dad to change like that because he was bought up to believe that the only good mouse/rat was a dead one but him seeing how affectionate Pumpkin is has changed him for the better.

I get a lot of 'you are crazy' when I tell people about Pumpkin but I don't really mind. I know that I saved her from certain death and have given her a good home and she is a wonderful pet..... no different from the rate that you buy from the pet shops.

Anyway the point I wanted to get across is that caring can be hard sometimes especially if people have different views from us but when it comes down to it it is how we feel deep down that counts, you cared about the little mouse and to me that makes you a better person, don't let anyone change you
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I had just stopped crying, and now I am again! Thank you, that was what I needed to hear. Even if I had come in and said I was keeping my parents would have just taken it from my room when I was sleeping, so I know that there was no hope... But I assume we'll be seeing him again soon, my dad just let him out in the front yard, so I hope he just climbs right back in :') And I didn't mean to say "stupid little mouse' harshly, I know there are a lot of mice lovers on here, like me, in fact. I just meant that he was one in a million and I had dealt with these guys for so long and never really gotten this upset. I guess it's because I was just cleaning up after the dogs and by then it was too late, but this guy... He was alive, unlike the rest. Thank you again, veggiegirl.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 
registereduser

it's hard to see an animal in distress and know you can't help it. Totally understandable!

I was in the same position once with my dog going after a mouse in the house. I let him kill it and said "good doggie!". That was his job.

BUT after that I bought a haveAheart mousetrap and caught/released them before the dog even knew they were there.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

No problems, I meant every word
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

Registereduser, that is what I like to hear (about the haveaheart mouse trap, NOT the good doggie bit, just thought I would clarify) Sometimes it seems like no one cares but when you hear things like these posts from you guys, well, it makes me feel good good on you both
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Registereduser, that is what I like to hear (about the haveaheart mouse trap, NOT the good doggie bit, just thought I would clarify) Sometimes it seems like no one cares but when you hear things like these posts from you guys, well, it makes me feel good good on you both
I wasn't exactly happy about my dog doing that but he obviously enjoyed it and was proud of himself. It was a quick kill. Circle of life yadda yadda
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #8 
veggiegirl

Oh well I was just happy to hear about the haveaheart mouse trap, what type of dog do you have? My Aunt has Jack Russell's and always encourages them to chase and kill rats and mice which I must admit upsets me trouble is several of her dogs have died because she was egging the dogs on to get them to chase what she thought was a rat or mouse and it turned out to be snakes.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #9 
thekinetic

Sometimes there is not much you can do Elsewhere. With the injuries that mouse sustained the best you probably could of done is make it comfortable.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #10 
Laki

About the dogs, terriers were bred for rodent baiting. In fact, many terrier clubs still practice it, though it is done humanely. I would refrain from panicking and yelling at the dog anymore. Daisy is hardwired for it. It's like yelling at a greyhound for running after a lure or yelling at a german shepherd after it protects its family. *sorry, had to step in about the dog*

Sorry you had to experience this whole debacle. The poor little mouse will pass on and more will come. Having rodent infestations is hard because they're larger and mammalian and therefore killing them evokes sympathy and compassion (unlike insect pests)..
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote