Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #1 
angemister

Persistant fin rot

Hello,

I am new to the betta world after having goldfish for many years and have gotten my first little betta named Klaus :) I put him on hold for about 1 week, came to pick up and I saw he had developed fin rot. I brought him home and it started to clear up, but has not completely healed! I also couldn't seem to get rid of the ammonia in my tank until I learned my tank won't most likely cycle as it is too small.

I'm now onto doing 100% water changes (since yesterday) and I am wondering if I should treat this fin rot, as it's been around for about 3 weeks now or should it sort it self out now I'm doing 100% water changes?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 26-29 degrees celsius
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No other fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Atison's Betta Food and sometimes Brine Shrimp or frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I was doing very regular 50-70% ones for the first 3 weeks (every few days or so). Now I think I'll do a 100% water change once a week, and maybe a 50% in there too?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Was doing 50%-70%, did my first 100% yesterday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Was using stress coat, but now have switched back to Prime. I also add Stability

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not sure if you guys still want this, as my tank won't cycle? I'll do it if you need to know :)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin rot heals a bit, but then comes back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, he seems to be a very happy and active fish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got him, or before I got him actually
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I was trying to do regular water changes and was adding stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not very old, I've had him for 3 weeks and he is tiny compared to other betta's I've seen.

So I'm just wondering should I treat with salt? Pimafix? Melafix? Or just leave it for a bit longer? I'm not sure how to treat a betta, as I see some people do not recommend salt of melafix. So I would love some help.
angemister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #2 
angemister

Some photos, sorry they are terrible, but it gives you an idea.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
angemister

No-one wants to help? :(
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #4 
mellcrowl

Well the fin rot it's self seems to have cleered up. I'd add some stress coat to his water and watch for regrowth :)
mellcrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

My tanks are all 2.5 to 3 gallons in size. I, personally, don't use a filter or try to cycle them. I just do two water changes per week: one 100% and one 50%.

If your guy's fins aren't getting worse rapidly, I would hold off on medications, as they can be harsh on fish.

Do not use anything that ends with '-FIX.' They contain oils, which can interfere with Betta's ability to breathe.

Here's what I recommend:

1) Keep him in clean, warm, conditioned water. If you want to try cycling your tank, you can ask for advice in the Bowls/Habitats section. Otherwise, just do one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

2) Give it a few days. If it looks like the rot isn't getting better, you can use Aquarium salt. (Not table salt.) Use about 1 teaspoon per gallon. Be sure it's COMPLETELY dissolved. Acclimate him slowly. Do not use it for more than TEN days.

3) If the rot gets worse, even with the Aquarium salt, or if it starts to progress RAPIDLY, let us know. There are some medications available that can help.

Generally though, clean, warm conditioned water, and some time, is all that's needed to heal fin rot.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #6 
angemister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellcrowl View Post
Well the fin rot it's self seems to have cleered up. I'd add some stress coat to his water and watch for regrowth :)
Cleared up? He still seems to have it to me? Maybe I'm crazy
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #7 
angemister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
My tanks are all 2.5 to 3 gallons in size. I, personally, don't use a filter or try to cycle them. I just do two water changes per week: one 100% and one 50%.

If your guy's fins aren't getting worse rapidly, I would hold off on medications, as they can be harsh on fish.

Do not use anything that ends with '-FIX.' They contain oils, which can interfere with Betta's ability to breathe.

Here's what I recommend:

1) Keep him in clean, warm, conditioned water. If you want to try cycling your tank, you can ask for advice in the Bowls/Habitats section. Otherwise, just do one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

2) Give it a few days. If it looks like the rot isn't getting better, you can use Aquarium salt. (Not table salt.) Use about 1 teaspoon per gallon. Be sure it's COMPLETELY dissolved. Acclimate him slowly. Do not use it for more than TEN days.

3) If the rot gets worse, even with the Aquarium salt, or if it starts to progress RAPIDLY, let us know. There are some medications available that can help.

Generally though, clean, warm conditioned water, and some time, is all that's needed to heal fin rot.
I think that is the water schedule I'll do now, but I'll keep the filter. It picks up a lot of gunk still as I have plants in there and it's on very low.

It's not getting worse rapidly, but it's not really going away either and it's been 3 weeks so I think it is time for medication? I'll try the salt, by acclimating him slowly can you explain. I mean I know what this means, but how should I do this?

Normally I make sure I match temperature and then I'm good to go as my ph out of my tap is the same as my tank. So what should I do when treating with salt?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

This can cause a shock to his system. Everytime you do a large water change, you need to acclimate him again.

To acclimate properly:

1. Note the temperature of the water.
2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp.
4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
6. Let him float for about 10 min.
7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
9. Gently release him into the tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #9 
angemister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
This can cause a shock to his system. Everytime you do a large water change, you need to acclimate him again.

To acclimate properly:

1. Note the temperature of the water.
2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp.
4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
6. Let him float for about 10 min.
7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
9. Gently release him into the tank.
Ok noted :)