Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 
leahleigh

Help!! Urgent!!

I'm kind of freaking out. I literally left for a day, and my mom promised she'd turn my tank light on, but didn't. My fish is VERY pale, meaning his previously black head is nearly completely white, and I noticed some very very small holes in his head, like he got pricked with a pin.

My tank is a 5.5 heated and filtered five gallon, it get's a siphoned 30% water change every week. It has two anubias, java fern and moss, drift wood, and a snail, and of course my betta. When I brought in my drift wood I guess I didn't rinse it enough because it seemed like my tank was infested with copepods RIGHT after it was put in, which I assumed I could get rid of with weekly water changes, ect. The next day I notice a white dot on his body, kind of like a pimple bit just the white dot. I was told not to worry about it if he was eating and swimming fine, which he was. It was there for two days before I noticed it moved to one side of his anal fin. I didn't think much of it, until now. Today when I got home and turned my light on I noticed he was on the bottom of the tank, his face was nearly white and he's very lethargic, along with not eating the food I provided him. Normally He is VERY spunky, constantly swims and explores, does typical spunky fish stuff. The thing that worried the most were the holes, which are just behind his eye, and that he seems to have a few more white dots.

I did a very minimal water change and added melafix and water conditioner to the water I put in. It's not ick, I know what ick looks like and this is NOT it, so please don't suggest it.
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #2 
Laki

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

**could you fill this of to the best of your ability please? I am unsure whether he might have Hole-in-the-head disease, parasite or ich. But we cannot move forward without some vital info first. Thanks. Also, a picture would be helpful
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
leahleigh

Despite answering majority of these already, i'll do it again. On another note, Dimitri (my betta) is swimming around and being a lot more active today. He seems to have more white dots, but i'm almost sure that it's not ick because when my previous fish got ick they weren't actually sticking out, like these are.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, although i'm not sure what kind. I know that it's a 10 gallon filter that i've adjusted to push less flow.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Apple Snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I'm not sure, some small betta-made pellets that i've used for all of my bettas.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 3 pellets at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe water conditioner, and this recet water change added melafix.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Turned pale, white specks (not ick specks) on him, very small puncture wound like holes near his eyes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Last night he was very lethargic, wouldn't eat, but this morning seems to be feeling better.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Sort of, added Melafix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Have had him for two weeks, approximately 8 months old to a year old.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4 
Laki

Firstly, stop using the melafix immediately and do a 100% water change and clean all his things. Melafix and betta fix and anything else with "-fix" contains tea tree oil which is more harmful for antabids. Melafix is far more concentrated than bettafix thus it could speed up problems rather than fix them.

Can you show pictures??
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 
sainthogan

+1, tea tree oil can coat the labryinth lung and cause your fish to suffocate. Some people use this and have no problems, but many due. The company claims in an email I wrote to them that this is because most people use it for incorrectly, ie. incorrect dosages, or misdiagnosing their fish and using it for something that it won't heal. Without actually coming out and saying it, they basically told me that it will kill your fish if you misdiagnose your fish and use it to treat something something your fish doesn't actually have.

Long story short, if you are using it, and you notice your fish start to have difficulty breathing, become extremely lethargic, or pale, STOP using it immediately and completely change the water in your tank. The company says this too - so I think they know it's not a good thing to use, yet they still keep marketing it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #6 
leahleigh

http://i50.tinypic.com/uwsqc.jpg
That should show the weird dot that popped up on him. I did as you requested and did a 100% water change, and actually changed his gravel which was a good idea. There was a lot of gross stuff in there including a lot of dead planaria worms, and as soon he was acclimated and I put him in his coloe brightened a bit and he was swimming a lot more.

Is there any precautions I should take, medicine wise, or wait until I see if it pops up again? I don't really see any more specks, and if they're there then they're small and on his fins.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #7 
Laki

The I wouldn't think its hole-in-head. That's Good!!!
I'm thinking he has parasites if the dots are ON him. Ugh, planaria. I had quite a time with my infestation too. Is he still in the 5.5?
It might not hurt to add 2 tsp of aquarium salt (pre mix it so it all dissolves) and only use it for a few days. This is not a lot of aq salt (usually for sickness it's 1 tsp per gallon) because aq salt can irritate him and make him immune to its healing properties. The point of using it now is to kill off any planaria left in cracks or seams of decorations and plants.

Remove any live plants as salt will harm them.

Daily vacuum and spot-clean the planaria. There will still be some! They're hard to eliminate completely but I think your using the melafix did away with the majority.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 
leahleigh

I'll definitely see if I can pick up some aquarium salt and do 2 tsp for three days. I haven't seen any planaria recently (except when i changed the gravel) and instead seeing what I assumed to be copepods, they were little white dots and SEEMED to have a very small tail. But those were far worse than my planaria, and after they showed up Dimitri started to have those parasites.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #9 
Laki

Ugh copepods and planaria. I ended up with seed shrimp as well. Don't know why I get all the bugs!

You could rinse the filter media as well, bugs live in there eating BB. It might ruin your cycle though, if you're cycling your tank. I stopped caring when I kept getting these tank bugs and just do more frequent changes.

Okay! Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #10 
leahleigh

So far no bug infestations, I think this finer gravel will help a lot with how much debris gets in them. Today Dimitri had some type of scrape against the top of his head, that or a few of his scales turned white? I'm not sure, also seems like his parasites are gone but instead has gotten ich. Maybe? It's ONLY on his fins an not his head or body.

Picked up some API aquarium salt at petco, starting treatment when I get home. Will update tomorrow.

Tags
betta help, emergency, sick betta