Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 
Rosalina

Food Question - new to bettas

I'm new to owning Bettas, and fish in general. I've only ever grown up with dogs. But now that I'm in college, I've been getting stressed out and have felt the need for a pet. And the only pets we are allowed to have are fish.

I knew a lot about bettas, however not everything when I was talked into getting a betta. The employee told me what to get, and I did. And since then (almost two weeks later).. well. I've been spoiling my betta, Dr.Bubbles.

I did research when I got home, to know everything I could. As I get obsessive over things quickly. Originally I had him in a tiny tiny bowl and soon got really attached to him and moved him into his own 10 gallon tank (only filled about 7 gallons) with a marimo. He is so much happier now, it's like a completely new fish. I'm so happy I didn't listen to the woman who said that Bettas like small cramped bowls.

But I have one problem. Dr. Bubbles wouldn't eat very much to begin with, and if I did feed him pellets he would wait until after they had been on the bottom for awhile or wouldn't get anything to eat since I would take it out. (I would think he may eat one pellet every two days.) I then tried giving him bloodworms and he won't stop eating them. As soon as it hits the surface he flies for it.

I know bettas need a varied diet. But is it possible to feed him a varied diet of freeze dried, frozen food you can get at the pet store, and the occasional pea? I do plan on fasting him one day a week.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :)
New bettas don't really eat much, maybe a few days to a week or so.

FD worms are only treats. They don't have the necessary nutrients your betta needs to be healthy. They're like french fries but only for bettas. What pellet brand were you feeding? The best are New Life Spectrum and Omega One if bought locally. Peas will do more harm than good, they're for goldfish not bettas. Daphnia is a much more natural laxative.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 
jessp118

It sounds like you have a picky eater. You should try one of the New Life Spectrum foods. I had a picky betta. I now feed both my bettas nls's thera +A regular formula. They have garlic that will attract them to the food and also help with any internal problems.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 
Rosalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum! :)
New bettas don't really eat much, maybe a few days to a week or so.

FD worms are only treats. They don't have the necessary nutrients your betta needs to be healthy. They're like french fries but only for bettas. What pellet brand were you feeding? The best are New Life Spectrum and Omega One if bought locally. Peas will do more harm than good, they're for goldfish not bettas. Daphnia is a much more natural laxative.
I use Omega One pellets. And thanks for the heads up on the pea, some friends told me it was good to feed it to them before fasting for a day.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

I hear peas are bad for bettas. I give mine a high-quality flake food 1x per day. Then, since they are fish that are easily bored, I have treats: 1. dry tubifex worm chunks (I scrape off just a little bit- the whole chunk is too much) 2. Betta "dial a treat" that has dried bloodworms, daphnia, and mysis (you can mix them up, or give just one kind), 3. Frozen brine shrimp, and 4. Something from a frozed "Fresh water multi-pack" that has combinations called "Freshwater Frenzy", "Emerald Entree", plus "Spirulina" brine shrimp and YUMMY bloodworms. The frozen foods come in chunks (in a foil blister pack). I get a few teaspoons of the betta's water, scrape a little of the frozen food into it w/ an Xacto knife, then swirl around. Then pop some popcorn & watch the bettas go crazy! My fish are totally spoiled, but I think they need the variety.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #6 
Myates

Agreed, freeze dried every once in a while.. frozen a little more often - frozen is good (for the most part.. depends on how the company freezes it - Hikari frozen is a bit better of a brand to use). Would keep working on the pellets as Omega has good nutrition and is a bit more well rounded.. can try to cut them in half (I just use my tumbnail as it's a bit easier) and see if he likes it better that way. Since he does try to eat them then he isn't averse to it, so it may come down to they are a bit too big for him to chew up. So making them a bit smaller may help him - I've had to do that to many of my younger/smaller ones for a while.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Agreed, freeze dried every once in a while.. frozen a little more often - frozen is good (for the most part.. depends on how the company freezes it - Hikari frozen is a bit better of a brand to use). Would keep working on the pellets as Omega has good nutrition and is a bit more well rounded.. can try to cut them in half (I just use my tumbnail as it's a bit easier) and see if he likes it better that way. Since he does try to eat them then he isn't averse to it, so it may come down to they are a bit too big for him to chew up. So making them a bit smaller may help him - I've had to do that to many of my younger/smaller ones for a while.
+1

The Hikari frozen foods have some added vitamins, which I think is good.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote