Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question Ghost Shrimp Option

Okay guys, i wanna get some ghost shrimps but i don't know what tank will be the safest for them as i don't want them to end up as snacks.

Should i house them in a 10 gallon with only a male betta or a 21 gallon with 3 female bettas and 2 plattys?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 
blu the betta

gost shrimp will probably die on you within 2 weeks. so i would use cherry shrimp.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

depending if my LPS have them.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #4 
bettaisbetter

IME, fragile animals tend to be best in big crowds. If near a lot of other fish, the other fish will tend to look at fish rather than the small things. If the shrimp is just with one fish, the fish will just play around with the shrimp and maybe make a snack out of it. I think your shrimp are better off with your sorority. I also recommend another female to add in btw...
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
IME, fragile animals tend to be best in big crowds. If near a lot of other fish, the other fish will tend to look at fish rather than the small things. If the shrimp is just with one fish, the fish will just play around with the shrimp and maybe make a snack out of it. I think your shrimp are better off with your sorority. I also recommend another female to add in btw...
About the females, i went to my LPS and they didnt have any of them anymore. The females are all young though so i have some more time to add another one!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

I started a thread about ghost shrimp. I just bought 12 from Petsmart; within 48 hrs they were all dead. They were with 9 female bettas. I found two complete corpses the morning after I introduced them; I then caught the girls ripping up a few others. So much for that experiment. Admittedly, I have the girls temporarily in a 10 gal tank while I bring their 29 gal back up to the correct parameters. I may try cherry shrimp then; I'm planting it heavily. More hiding places.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 
WhiskeyHands

^so you suggest me not to put them with the females?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

If you are willing to have at least a few wind up as snacks, try it! Your fish aren't the feeding-frenzy pack of little pirahnas (sp?) that mine are. They had trouble seeing the live ghost shrimp. When the shrimp began to turn white (or die), the trouble (for the shrimp) began. I trying pulling the shrimp as they died. I got four out of the 12 and the rest just disappeared... the fish have innocent looks on their faces, just like when I had 6 baby Ramshorn snails go missing.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

well my male is very active but live alone so idk if they could be with him plus he is a tail biter so maybe he wont only bite his tail whereas the females are living in a bigger tank with more hiding places but they go after every thing that moves. They are young and they seem very playful.

These are my only 2 cycled tanks for now, i have another male betta that is very peaceful but his tank is not cycled yet, maybe i could wait and house shrimps with him instead?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

I'm sure my male would leave a shrimp alone. He is an EE with HUGE pectorals; he seems to tire easily & has lots of resting spots. He's happy; he spends his days building elaborate bubble nests & always begs for food, but he can't zip around like the girls can- he just flutters too much! I may try a few shrimp for him when I upgrade him to the 5 gal hex I am cycling. I can use the shrimp to help start the tank, come to think of it!

Last edited by Xaltd1; 02-03-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
ghost shrimp, option