Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
Newtonbetta

Treating finrot / no hospital tank / otto tankmates

I have a 10gal tank and I put recently purchased a betta from petsmart with some pretty decent finrot. The fish is active and eating but he needs some help growing his fins. I figured some aquarium salt may help (2 TBS for 10gal).

Here's the problem - i have two ottos in there. I have read they are not tolerant of aquarium salt. It gets too cold in my apartment to have a hospital tank for the betta (I don't have the room for another tank which I can put in a heater).. Any ideas? Has anyone used aq salt with ottos and been OK?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtonbetta View Post
I have a 10gal tank and I put recently purchased a betta from petsmart with some pretty decent finrot. The fish is active and eating but he needs some help growing his fins. I figured some aquarium salt may help (2 TBS for 10gal).

Here's the problem - i have two ottos in there. I have read they are not tolerant of aquarium salt. It gets too cold in my apartment to have a hospital tank for the betta (I don't have the room for another tank which I can put in a heater).. Any ideas? Has anyone used aq salt with ottos and been OK?
Maybe a container/bucket inside your main tank as QT area?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Maybe a container/bucket inside your main tank as QT area?
+1 on Otterfun's suggestion. You could float the hospital tank inside your larger tank. Or if you don't want it to float, you could pile up some rocks or gravel underneath so it stays securely in one place.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 
Newtonbetta

YIKES - looks like the new betta or ottos had ich when I bought them, and the salty appearance came out yesterday...

I use a standard cyphon gravel vacuum to remove water from the tank. Once I'm done with the treatment do I need to throw the vacuum out and get a new one? Will remnants of ich hang out in the hose and re-infect my tank when I do a water change?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote