Ogre44

Do I need to Euthanize?

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78degrees
Does your tank have a filter? HOB
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 8 Bronze Corries, 4 Panda Corries, Ramshorn Snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetracolor Tropical Granules, Frozen Blood Worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner, Liquid Ferts twice a week

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5-10ppm
pH:7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scales raising around head, Red fuzzy patches growing on side, Fins losing color in patches
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very Lethargic, trouble swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He didn't eat Thursday night, and was just hanging under his floating plants Friday I put him into Quarantine on Saturday morning (Thought he was constipated)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Quarantine tank with Epsom Salts for constipation
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had Nitrate Poisoning when I was first learning how to care for fish
How old is your fish (approximately)?1.5 years

On Thursday night Harvey did not seem as active as usual and was not interested in food.
On Friday he was not swimming around much, and again was not interested in eating so I set up the Quarantine tank.
On Saturday he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank and had gotten quite pale, so I moved him over to the QT thinking he was constipated. I added 2.5 teaspoons of epsom salts to 2 gallons of water. He remained inactive throughout the day.
This morning he is having trouble remaining upright, he has raised scales around his head, patches of his fins are going light grey, and he has patches of red fuzz growing on him.
Here are photos:

Last week I added two plants to the main tank, as far as I know that's the only thing that's changed in months, my water parameters have been the same for most of a year.
Thanks for looking.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I am curious about his fins, reminds me of
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

To me his age (mine passed between 13-16 months - just under 1.5 years) and his color fits. If no one else shows signs, good! There are other strains that have been contagious but for the most part the main one we came across is not.

If you have other bettas make sure to clean everything between uses. No need to cross contaminate :)

If his scales are raised, it's dropsy. A sign when the organs are or have failed. You could "try" to get rid of the dropsy but the infection is still there, and he may die anyways. Plus survivors of dropsy end up so weak to everything it's not fair to them.

If you would like to euthanize that is your decision. I would, personally as it was not caught soon enough. He can't fight the infection (I use Kanaplex) and dropsy at once. :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 
Ogre44

Thanks for your reply Sena.
Unfortunately for me, he passed away about 2 hours ago.
I don't think it was the Mycobacteria as the grey in his fins didn't appear until this morning.
Took photos to my lfs and was told that it was most likely chronic kidney failure initiated by the Nitrite poisoning last year.
The fin necrosis would have been due to his systems shutting down and the red fuzz was an opportunistic fungal or bacterial infection.
I feel sad, but 1.5 years in a 29 gallon tank is better than a couple of months in a plastic cup at the pet store.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well glad you are here and learning :) sorry you lost him though!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote