Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

5.5 Divided Questions:Planted

Earlier I asked a question about dividing my 5.5G in the quick questions thread. Since it was quick questions, I wanted to bring my more specified questions into a new thread, so here we go:

My tank lid prevents my from centering my heater/filter. Do I simply remove the lid and work around this? Or is it alright to just slide a mesh divider (or two) in the middle and help camouflage/blend with plants?

My boyfriend keeps going on about pheromones and how fish release them and anger each other with them. Is he just talking out of his...ya know...or is he right? I can see them seeing each other and flaring, etc, but pheromones is another story.

Ideally I would have two males in the tank (divided), but if the following information above forms in a way that forces me unable to do so, would I be able to put a female next to my male that I will NOT be mating her with? If so, will this effect her mating behavior?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 
bahamut285

You can do a few things:

1. Just slide the divider in the middle, doesn't matter about the filter: I've done this in divided tanks before with no problems

2. Remove the stock lid but make your own mesh lid with a space cut out for your filter/cords to prevent jumping. Most people then slide two dividers in a V shape with the widest part at the filter to hide it

Also, your boyfriend is correct, most (if not all) sexual animals release pheromones to attract potential mates. Others may have different stories but I always found problems dividing a tank between a male and female, but two males or two females are okay.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Okay. Thank you!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 
Laki

Mine is 5g. My cover has one hole for the filter so one side has the filter, one has the heater. I tried both fish on the side of the filter and the CoT seems to do better since his tail is less of a sail than the VT.
Attached Images

Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh alright. Thank you!!

I'll just have to "test the waters" so to speak with these males. Both are going to have flowy caudals.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
Laki

Mine almost completely ignore each other. They see each other during dinner time and when the tank light goes off - because of the reflection caused by the apartment light.
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote