Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #1 
itamag

Fin rot treatment

I believe my Betta has fin rot. Now, I have TetraMedica General Tonic, which contains Methalyne Blue. I was thinking of using aquarium salt, but:
Currently, I don't have one and can't get one for at least 4 days. On the other hand, I do have kosher table salt. What should I choose? general tonic, kosher salt or aquarium salt? How do I use it? Thanks
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #2 
SharkyTheBetta

Be very careful, table salt should not be used for fish! When it comes to salt, you are allow to use only aquarium salt.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #3 
SharkyTheBetta

How bad is the fin rot? In the case it is a mild case, you should keep his water warm and clean and fin rot will get on its own.

I would not use methylene blue for treating fin rot.

Can you please add a photo to see how bad is the fin rot?

Also, please fill this form:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #4 
itamag

What size is your tank? 13 liters about 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 26 Celcius
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, seem good
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday, fast one Saturdays
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50% one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? 0.5mm edge of fins becoming white, and also some edges are "weaker"
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yesterday, he opened his mouth a lot inside the water, he opened his fins as if he was seeing another betta.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago, when i got him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 0.5-1 year

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=127594

I posted pictures of him there, he's the same.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #5 
SharkyTheBetta

He's a very cute boy. :)
Are you sure that the white edge of the fins isn't fins' regrowth? While they are healing from fin rot the new fins looks white at the beginning. Or are they white spots on fins? I cannot see exactly from the photos...

If he looks like in the photos, he is ok to me, so I would just keep him comfortable in warm and clean water. 26 degrees C is alright, but you can also slowly increase the temperature to 27-28 in order to speed up healing. Be careful, the rule is not more than one degree per hour, but I would increase it even slowly. Today to 27 and tomorrow to 28.

In the case you are dealing with fin rot indeed and it won't go in a few days or it will get worse, you can add aquarium salt, but never, never, never table salt. This can be very dangerous and even kill your fish.

13 l tank is great for a betta, but due to the fact that you don't have a filter it is possible to have different temperature inside the tank. Warm water always stays at the top. Using the thermometer, measure the temperature at the bottom at the tank, at the surface and in the place located most far away from the heater in order to ensure that you have the same temperature. Otherwise, it can be stressful for your fish.

The changing schedule seems fine, but don't forget to acclimatize him well. After the water change put the cup with your betta into the tank and let it to float. In this way the temperature from the cup will become the same with the temperature from the tank. Let him to float this way for a while. Then start to add small amounts of water from the tank into his cup every 10-15 min for at least an hour. Then put your fish gently in the tank.

What kind of flakes do you feed him?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 
itamag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyTheBetta View Post
He's a very cute boy. :)
Are you sure that the white edge of the fins isn't fins' regrowth? While they are healing from fin rot the new fins looks white at the beginning. Or are they white spots on fins? I cannot see exactly from the photos...

If he looks like in the photos, he is ok to me, so I would just keep him comfortable in warm and clean water. 26 degrees C is alright, but you can also slowly increase the temperature to 27-28 in order to speed up healing. Be careful, the rule is not more than one degree per hour, but I would increase it even slowly. Today to 27 and tomorrow to 28.

In the case you are dealing with fin rot indeed and it won't go in a few days or it will get worse, you can add aquarium salt, but never, never, never table salt. This can be very dangerous and even kill your fish.

13 l tank is great for a betta, but due to the fact that you don't have a filter it is possible to have different temperature inside the tank. Warm water always stays at the top. Using the thermometer, measure the temperature at the bottom at the tank, at the surface and in the place located most far away from the heater in order to ensure that you have the same temperature. Otherwise, it can be stressful for your fish.

The changing schedule seems fine, but don't forget to acclimatize him well. After the water change put the cup with your betta into the tank and let it to float. In this way the temperature from the cup will become the same with the temperature from the tank. Let him to float this way for a while. Then start to add small amounts of water from the tank into his cup every 10-15 min for at least an hour. Then put your fish gently in the tank.

What kind of flakes do you feed him?
I am planning to get him a filter. When checking in the store the only low current filter was without active charcoal. Does that matter? It also has an aerator (putting oxygen in the tank if I got the name wrong). Maybe it's fin growth, in some of the edges it seems more metalic teelish, like his usual color, so perhaps these are new fins getting their color? Also, I currently don't have a thermometer, but my heater is adjustable in "skips" of 2 degrees celcius - from 18,20,22.. to 30, so I can't switch the degress one by one.
He's eating Nutrafin vitamin flakes, but today I also bought him some pellets so he could eat something different sometimes.