Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #1 
Silverfang

Warning about petsmart decor!

I had a couple of their silk plants, and a couple of the softer plastic ones for my boy. During my recent cleaning, I noticed what looked like a stain on the glass bottom of the tank. Realizing it wasn't just waste, or coming off easily. I pick up the plant and look at the base. It was RUSTING. Their bases contain some sort of metal. Beware!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 
majesticstorm

Oh crap! Really?! I have one of those plants in my tank right now. I'll check it out during my next water change...

Dangit, and my boy's pretty fond of that plant too...

How long have you had the plant in there?
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #3 
PaulO

That's not the only thing.... When I had those in my tanks with mollies the ends of the leafs frayed. What ended up happening was the mollies swallowed the threads...they must have blocked up their digestive systems because they all started to drop like flies. I of course thought this was some sort of internal parasite because the threads protruded halfway out of them. I had started to treat with some heavy medications which ended up stressing and killing the rest of the Mollie. Point being natural is better... Natural plants absorb ammonia and other by products, provide shelter for fry or bullied fish, or even look nicer and more vibrant. I think these plants are modeled after real amazon swords *I think thats the common name* and I have seen them in green but they might exist in red I just haven't seen it.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4 
Fishybitty

I have a possible idea. If you like the plants, take them out of the base. Use or buy some aquarium gravel. Then buy some aquarium safe sealant, make your own plant base.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 
majesticstorm

Yeah, I noticed that the leaves frayed really quickly, so I would trim off the threads during each water change. I was going to replace the plant after it got frayed beyond repair...

I'm sorry about your mollies, PaulO. I was actually thinking of using live plants...but I'll be moving in and out of my dorms quite a lot, so it wouldn't be very convenient...

And Fishbitty, that's a wonderful idea! :D
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I tried pulling the base off the last one I had in use. All the leaves fell off and it decompiled.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #7 
registereduser

is it the base rusting or the wire inside the stems that is exposed at the bottom and rusting? I think those bases are ceramic but I have had stems with exposed wires start to rust.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8 
Silverfang

it seemed like most of the rust was from the hole where the stem was anchored. BUT I did see rust more than just there.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #9 
White Mage

AAAAAAAAAH!!!

I have BOTH of those plants! D: And 2 more with the same base! D:

Edit: took all of them out, tyey ARE rusting! And the bases are disintegrating too! D:<

Is it possible to take them back without the original packaging? I just got them last week...

I really liked those plants :C

Last edited by White Mage; 02-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
AAAAAAAAAH!!!

I have BOTH of those plants! D: And 2 more with the same base! D:

Edit: took all of them out, tyey ARE rusting! And the bases are disintegrating too! D:<

Is it possible to take them back without the original packaging? I just got them last week...

I really liked those plants :C

Petsmart should take them back. I took back a plant I had used and said it was defective because some metal was exposed. They were very understanding. Just make sure you have the receipt.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote