Betta Fish Forum banner

Warning about petsmart decor!

5K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  jadaBlu 
#1 ·
I had a couple of their silk plants, and a couple of the softer plastic ones for my boy. During my recent cleaning, I noticed what looked like a stain on the glass bottom of the tank. Realizing it wasn't just waste, or coming off easily. I pick up the plant and look at the base. It was RUSTING. Their bases contain some sort of metal. Beware!

See less See more
#3 ·
That's not the only thing.... When I had those in my tanks with mollies the ends of the leafs frayed. What ended up happening was the mollies swallowed the threads...they must have blocked up their digestive systems because they all started to drop like flies. I of course thought this was some sort of internal parasite because the threads protruded halfway out of them. I had started to treat with some heavy medications which ended up stressing and killing the rest of the Mollie. Point being natural is better... Natural plants absorb ammonia and other by products, provide shelter for fry or bullied fish, or even look nicer and more vibrant. I think these plants are modeled after real amazon swords *I think thats the common name* and I have seen them in green but they might exist in red I just haven't seen it.

#5 ·
Yeah, I noticed that the leaves frayed really quickly, so I would trim off the threads during each water change. I was going to replace the plant after it got frayed beyond repair...

I'm sorry about your mollies, PaulO. I was actually thinking of using live plants...but I'll be moving in and out of my dorms quite a lot, so it wouldn't be very convenient...

And Fishbitty, that's a wonderful idea! :D

#9 · (Edited)
AAAAAAAAAH!!!

I have BOTH of those plants! D: And 2 more with the same base! D:

Edit: took all of them out, tyey ARE rusting! And the bases are disintegrating too! D:<

Is it possible to take them back without the original packaging? I just got them last week...

I really liked those plants :C

#10 ·
Petsmart should take them back. I took back a plant I had used and said it was defective because some metal was exposed. They were very understanding. Just make sure you have the receipt.

#21 · (Edited)
I just took out the petsmart silk plant, and looked at the bottom part. It doesn't look rusty, contrary it looks like plastic. I also have one of those magnetic tank scrubbers and used it to see if the bottom of the decoration was attracted to it. It wasn't.

Correction: I felt a slight pull, so I guess there is metal :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.