Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

acrylic tank cleaning

I am looking for suggestions on cleaning items to help clean the inside of the tank. I have seen the ones with a long handle and some that are magnetic. Anyone have any reviews on products?
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
mld02004

I just use a plain sponge made for acrylic tanks. If your tank is not that deep you don't need the one with the handle. I have both and find the one with the handle to be harder to use. I sponge it down once a week to keep up with algae/scum rather than letting it build up.

I also have a magnet that works well, but mine is for glass aquariums. I'm not sure if they have them for acrylic, but they do work quite well.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 
valen1014

I've never tried it on acrylic tanks but I heard they scratch easily and the magnet one shouldn't be used. It's just something I was told, I've never tried it myself. I only have a small acrylic tank for which I use my hands or a clean piece of cloth from an old shirt or something.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

My tank is only 4 gallons so the depth is an estimated 12" to 16". So it's not difficult to reach. But I do not feel comfortable sticking my arm in a full tank because of the water splashing out plus I am afraid of something being on my arm that I can't see. I would like to do it during my next water change.

I have seen the magnet cleaners made for acrylic tanks but I wanted to make sure before picking one up. I may clean and sanitize an old soft toothbrush in boiling water and do a test to see if it scratches.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 
waterdog

I use a cleaning pack I found at petsmart. Telescoping rod with several head attachments. The only down side was it was for glass tanks, so I bought an acrylic pad, peeled the ones off the cleaning heads, cut the acrylic pad to size and glued it to the heads with aquarium silicone. It works fantastic and easy for me!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #6 
InfiniteGlory

i have seen them at petsmart too but I never stopped to check them out. i may stop by tonight and check them out