Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1171 
Lizdu

Hey y'all! I just got my very first froggy! I am so excited. You should have seen me at the store with my husband. He couldn't stop laughing I was so ecstatic to finally see some there! He said I could get one. So, I have put him in with my betta, and they seem to be getting along really well. Feeding hasn't been a problem, and Mr. Froggy (I know...so original...suggestions?) actually ate some bloodworms. Not to mention Rainbow, he couldn't get enough of them. He even ate off my fingers. too cute. anyway, I have gone through this entire thread, and it's what made me want an ADF. I need to take pics.
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #1172 
LittleWatty

Congrats! Chesh and I will always welcome froggy pics! I have to get some more of my new additions, but I'm going to let them get used to living in decent conditions without 30 other frogs before I start harassing them with the camera
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #1173 
Lizdu

So, I'm having fun with Mr. Froggy, and enjoy feeding him. Quick question on that though. Is it normal for him to only eat about 2-3 worms? He seems to get annoyed whenever I try to feed him more. He'll swim away, and I notice that his side pooches out some. That means he's full right?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #1174 
Chesh

Awww! Congratulations on the new friend, can't wait to see some frog pics from BOTH of you!

To answer your question, it takes very little to fill up a tiny frog - especially if you've got a bitty juvie there, so he's fine, I'm sure. Their stomach is slightly to the left of the center of the frog, and can easily be seen if you look at their underside, a full frog will show his left side bowing out slightly, so it sounds like he's good to go!

Have fun!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1175 
Chesh

Awwwwww, Watty - I just saw your newbie pics! I've been out of commission for a few days, and missed them come up - ADORABLE!!!! :D Sounds like they're doing really well, too!

I just added a frog to the kindergarten class tank today. A little bit nervous, but he seems to be okay. I'll be keeping a really close eye on him!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #1176 
LittleWatty

I've been slowly collecting pics of my new guys, and plan to get them up as soon as I get some more. Both look in better shape than Skinny and Tubby when I first got them, and are rather chubby. One is really skittish while the other doesn't seem to care what I'm doing.

Also... I'm rescuing a frog from a friend of mine. Its a mature male (as she found out last night when it kept her up with its singing!). She had him in a 55 gallon community, but then it got hit really hard with worms and she has been loosing all her fish. She hasn't had much luck since she started fish keeping, so she's giving up on it and switching to either axolotls, lesser sirens, or mudpuppies. I offered to take her frog, since I just adore them.

She lives a ways away, and neither of us have time or means to get to one place or the other, so she'll have him for a little while yet. The most likely culprit for her fish massacre is worms, so I'm hoping he'll be happy and healthy once I pick him up. Any recommendations for quarantine and what not when I get him? He won't be going in with any of the frogs I currently have, so I'm not worried about chytrid, just all the other little nasties that might affect fish.

Yay Chesh! Hope all goes well with your kindergarten tank!

Last edited by LittleWatty; 02-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #1177 
Lizdu

Thanks Chesh! That makes me feel better! Here are some pics of Mr. Froggy.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1178 
LittleWatty

Oh yay! Cute little froggies! Its a little blurry, but he looks healthy to me!

Guess its time for me to put up my photos. Got a mix of the newbies as well as the oldies! Total pic spam.

Still don't have my friend's frog yet, but really hoping to get him within the month. Especially if the last of her fish die.

Also, question! One of my babies has really really stumpy toes. Is that normal? Will he have a hard time swimming compared to his long-toed companion? Its clearest in the last photo.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #1179 
Chesh

Haha! YAY for froggy pic spam! Love it!!!

Lidzu - I agree with Watty, from what I can see in the pic, he looks healthy to me! Cute little bugger!

Watty - I feel bad for your friend and her 55g! It's also really hard to treat for things like worms without killing a frog, they can be so sensitive to medications. . . *sigh* But really happy that you're around to give him a new AND GOOD home, lol! As far as QT, if she's had him for longer than 3 months, Chytrid shouldn't be a concern. For the most part, any of the worms or other illnesses that can affect fish do NOT affect frogs (and vice versa). These things, especially parasites, have their own hosts that they can't live without - so your main concern here would be that the frog would be a temporary carrier, perhaps carrying some remnant of the illness or parasite in on it's skin or inside of it's intestine (likely in the case of worms likely to have been ingested by the frog). Your best bet would be to keep him in a fishless QT for a period of at least 1 month - I'd give it 6-8 weeks to be sure, because I like to err on the side of caution. After about a month, even the most difficult of fish nasties will die off without a host (fish) to live on. The same QT process should be done with anything coming into a tank - even snails and plants if they have lived with fish in their recent past. Glad you're willing and able to give this little one a new home!

Your newbies (and the old ones, of course) are looking beautiful and fit! I wouldn't worry too much about the little one's feet. We lump several species into the common name of African Dwarf Frog, it could be that he's a slightly different frog from the ones you have, or it could be just a natural genetic variation, but either way I'm sure he'll thrive. My first frog was in a filter accident in the first month I had her, and the webbing on one of her back fins was ripped. She carried on as if nothing had happened until she died recently - the injured foot healed up, but never repaired itself, but also didn't slow her down a bit!

Good luck, both of you, on all of the new arrivals!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #1180 
LittleWatty

I feel better now, then :) I've got a plan for Gargoyle (my friend's frog) when he comes in, and I don't have to worry about the stubby toes. It'll at least be easy to tell the two frogs apart when they're in the tank! XD Its really fun finding identifying features. I also realized that Skinny and Tubby are kind of the same way. Skinny has the some what curled toes that seem to be "stubby", and Tubby has the really long unhindered toes. Wonder if that could possibly be a male/female thing too... *shrugs*

Say, when are we going to get pictures of your kindergarten tank and its new frog?