Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #11 
alunjai

I've taken the dad out and some fry are still swimming (about 15-20).

When is the best time to feed them BBS?
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #12 
bettaboyshiva

I used to take the male from the spawns before i knew about eggs getting fungus and how important it is for him to keep them to the surface of the tank. I used to see them having the eggs in his mouth and that made me think they were eating the eggs but it wasn't so, although i have came across males that have eaten and entire cluster of eggs :/ and even gave them a chance to see if they would mature and stop the bad habit. Some did break the habit and some didn't. Since all the males were good breeding stock if i really needed offspring from that male in particular I would take the male out after spawning only after he tended to the eggs and placed all safely in the nest and just leave the cluster to hatch on its own, which usually took place but some eggs did sink and didn't hatch. So the importance of the male in tending to a spawn is so imperative in so many ways.
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #13 
bettaboyshiva

I usually feed bbs 2-3 days after they hatch.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #14 
alunjai

This is my 2nd successful spawn out of 10-12 attempts. The first successful spawn I had I left the male in for the first day after hatch but all the fry were eaten when I got back. He did look after the fry as I saw him busy swimming up and down picking up the fry. I guess they all eventually died so he ate them all.

Anyway I still have about 30-35 fry swimming around in this current spawn, yay!! They're so tiny its hard to imagine them eating bbs at this size.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #15 
bettaboyshiva

I know what u mean some spawns the fry are so damn tiny its a worry somtime. But i never hesitate to feed bbs since they can easily starve but once you see they are free swimming just place a little bit of the bbs and observe if they chase after it and nibble at it...thats a good sign because then they will try to eat the bbs. At this stage where you are at right now most people feed infusoria or the red of the egg. But i dont do that because the water tends to get sour with the red of the egg and i dont like trying to collect infusoria, so i just feed the fry bbs.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #16 
Chard56

Some fry are too small to eat bbs and there are different sizes of bbs as well. I always feed infusoria for several days after free swimming in addition to the bbs. That way the smaller ones and slow starters get a chance at having something to eat and be able to compete with the bigger fry. I guess that's why I get spawns with fry counts in the 3 to 4 hundred range. My biggest to date that I actually took the time to count was 619 fry. If I ran out or had a bad batch of bbs I could save a batch of fry by taking some egg yolk and put it in a small spray bottle with water and shake it up real well. Then spray in their tank. Carefull not to over feed as it fouls the water fairly quickly.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Microworms and banana worms are two of the most common first fry foods. However, they can easily pollute the tank so always clean the bottom after each feeding to avoid the bacteria building up. This can be a factor in missing ventrals in fry (from the bacteria, not the food itself). I've fed BBS to newly free swimming fry 3 days after.

Live plants in a spawn tank actually can carry daphnia and supply infusoria as first fry foods.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #18 
alunjai

I will try to pick up newly hatched bbs tonight after work. If not, I may have to feed them some crushed egg yolk. I can't get hold of microworms or banana worms where I live. I heard people culture them themselves but how do you start that off?

I have live plants in the spawn tank but no signs of daphnia or infusoria unless I'm unaware of it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #19 
alunjai

I just added some newly hatched bbs into the spawn tank but they're not swimming after them?

Will the bbs foul the water if not eaten?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #20 
Chard56

Daphnia don't appear out of nowhere like infusoria. They have to be cultured or added to a tank at one point. An infusoria culture needs to started a week to ten days before having a goodly amount of it to feed the fry. I use a quart jar filled with old aquarium water and add a few shredded pieces of lettuce every once in a while for the infusoria to feed on. It should not smell. If it smells bad it is bad and needs to be thrown out and started over. Adding liquifry when they are still eggs promotes infusoria growth so that by the time they are free swimming there would be some in the tank. Now that they are free swimming for two days they may die off if there isn't enough infusoria on the plant roots and if they are too small to eat the bbs. A little egg yolk in a VERY clean spray bottle (any chemicals in it will kill the fry) with water, shaken up and sprayed in their tank will get them through until they can eat the bbs. Carefull not to over feed as it will foul their water. I have saved many spawns with egg yolk when my infusoria culture wasn't up and running properly or I had ran out of brine shrimp eggs.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, spawn