betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with everything, Hadoken.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #12 
Hadoken Kitty

Alright Lady, I will! Lol. Thank you Dramaqueen. Hopefully everything goes well.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #13 
TheCheese909

Oh my gosh! The first guy looks so much like my Epilepsy did. What a pretty boy!
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #14 
Hadoken Kitty

Hehe, thanks! Just waiting on the email confirmation from the seller on him! =D
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #15 
inareverie85

I like the first boy a lot. Good choice! :)

As for a girl, definitely take your time finding her. I am one of the many who believe that a female has a HUGE impact on the finnage/form of the fry, probably even more than the male does.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #16 
Hadoken Kitty

I got him! He's mine! Speaking with the seller through email now. Yea, I'm taking plenty of time. I was thinking of a really light yellow girl. Like cambodian, but no darker than pineapple. I know that cambodian has a reputation of "lightening" colors (really just not having the black), so I'm looking more into a yellow to be honest. I've been talking with Polukoff about his beautiful yellow fish.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #17 
inareverie85

If you do get a yellow fish to pair with him, try to be sure of a few things:

- No black specs or spots. These things are common in yellows and hard to breed out.

- Bright color that is not washed out. Many yellow lines become more and more pale as time goes on, forcing you to outcross back into red. You want to start with fish that have a nice rich color if you can help it.

- A full spread on the caudal fin with SHARP edges. Most females on the market these days do not have great spreads or sharp edges, so keep your eyes peeled.. especially for good, sharp edges.

- Try to find one with an anal fin that is as short as possible to maintain balance in your fry. :)

- I could also say things about a wide dorsal base too, but this list is starting to look so long! Lol.

Just find as many of these things as you can in your girl. The more you get in one package, the easier things will go for you in the long run, especially if you ever consider showing! :)

(I would place the greatest emphasis on: No black spots and sharp caudal edges.)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #18 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea, but it seems like Polukoff has been doing an awesome job with his yellow line. I think I saw a really rich BF Pineapple. I'm looking for a BF, but we'll see how that goes. I'm still debating on whether or not I really want that. Time doesn't feel of the essence when it comes to finding a female, seeing as I don't even have my male here (nor is our basement ready for breeding YET, but that's another story).

I'm looking at other sellers as well, but I really like Polukoff's line of yellow bettas. His females look absolutely stunning.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Form wise I agree with inareverie. IMO you should work with form first, then work through for colors.

What are you breeding for, if any, color wise? You might not get clean yellows regardless how clean the female is. Nor will you get lavender (your other thread). Your boy (to be) is a cross between blue (irid) and cambodian. So those are the basic genes that will influence fry color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #20 
Hadoken Kitty

I wasn't wanting a clean yellow. I was hoping to get a really awesome multi-color going on. Example: Red, blue, and yellow coloring. I just want to add a bit of yellow in with the fry, not make them mostly yellow.

I want to get a really symmetrical look within the fins, though. I wasn't thinking I'd be lucky enough to find a female that would get me started on both on the first go, but I thought that it would be worth a shot to look regardless.

If I don't go for color at all on the first fry, then what female should I be looking for? One that is similar in color? Cambodian?