Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #11 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
I wouldn't do it either. When you're going home for the breaks and stuff, are you going to take them with you or leave them at the dorm? Personally, I wouldn't risk leaving them at the dorm unsupervised since they might have some dispute while I'm gone (but then again, I've never had a sorority). If you're transporting by personal car, then getting the girls home and back would be easy. But if you are taking public transit, how are you going to carry them AND your luggage? Believe me, carrying my boy with me on a 6 hr train/bus ride home was terrible. I had to walk smoothly so that the water in his cup wouldn't splash so much. Lifting my luggage with one hand when I had to go up the stairs was scary since I was so scared I would drop him AND my luggage. Plus, my boy was probably stressing since the water was getting colder and the bumpy ride didn't help either...

I agree with the others above me: have one (or two if you want to divide the tank) and stick with that for now. Start a sorority once you're in a more permanent home. :) That's my plan.
I would never leave any of my bettas without having someone to look after them! I always make sure to plan ahead and being an RA I know who will be here and who won't. So I would only go back and forth about 2 times a year (going home for the summer and coming back). I also have my car and I have to say, nothing against you or anything but if I had to take public transportation I wouldn't get any bettas (because I would be in fear just like you). And when I travel with my bettas I always make sure my car is warm. Of course I won't be able to handle my car being about 85 degrees especially in the summer time but I try to keep it hot (I have to say it is unpleasant to be sweating in a car >_<).

But I am thinking (since I have 3 females now) that I was split my 10 into two and allow one of them to live in my 5. So at least they'll all have enough room.
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #12 
majesticstorm

Sorry if I offended you. It's just that at my college our dorms are closed during breaks, everybody's pretty much gone, even the people who clean our rooms so there isn't anybody to look after our pets.

Hahahaha, yeaaa. I know it was a bad idea. I was planning on getting a betta AFTER my holiday break, but I walked into Petco to get supplies, looked at their bettas and fell in love with my boy. Plus, this is my first year at college, so I didn't know anyone who had a car that I could carpool with. But he's pretty much staying in my room until summer vacation (not bringing him home for spring break even though I found someone to carpool with).
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #13 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Sorry if I offended you. It's just that at my college our dorms are closed during breaks, everybody's pretty much gone, even the people who clean our rooms so there isn't anybody to look after our pets.

Hahahaha, yeaaa. I know it was a bad idea. I was planning on getting a betta AFTER my holiday break, but I walked into Petco to get supplies, looked at their bettas and fell in love with my boy. Plus, this is my first year at college, so I didn't know anyone who had a car that I could carpool with. But he's pretty much staying in my room until summer vacation (not bringing him home for spring break even though I found someone to carpool with).
That's the same with our college but we have international students (probably like you do) and some who cannot or don't want to go home. Although you may think no one is there, trust me there is probably an RA or two there working. And you didn't I was just saying that I'm always so worried about leaving that I plan way ahead (or try to lol)

And I understand completely I recently bought all my girls roughly around the same time (I just loved them all!) and I do have the means to provide them all with homes separately so I don't feel TOO bad. The only thing is that I also have a horse (well two but only one with me at college since I cannot afford both of them here) so ill also have to worry about getting him to a new barn AND my other one (who lives literally the completely opposite direction from the new barn :( ).but anywho lol
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote