Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
Lyshymo

Compatible tank mate?

So when I upgrade my Betta's tank I'm going to buying him a single tank mate. I was really leaning toward an African Dwarf Frog. I'll also be purchasing a few lives plants to go in the new tank as well.

Has anyone had a Dwarf frog that worked well for them? Also, out of curiosity, what would an appropriate tank size for a single Betta and African Dwarf Frog be (what's recommended)?

Thank you for all input! (:
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

I have but know it's a delicate balance and you need to get the right fish and the right frog or you'll have one kill or hurt the other. A 5 gallon if best but anything larger is better. Nothing smaller than 5 gallons for this sort of pairing. LOTS of hiding spots too so if there are issues one or both animals can hide and escape.

Also know you will have to hand feed the frog.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #3 
Lyshymo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I have but know it's a delicate balance and you need to get the right fish and the right frog or you'll have one kill or hurt the other. A 5 gallon if best but anything larger is better. Nothing smaller than 5 gallons for this sort of pairing. LOTS of hiding spots too so if there are issues one or both animals can hide and escape.

Also know you will have to hand feed the frog.
Thank you for the input! I appreciate it! Do you think putting the frog in a smaller tank until it gets used to you and hand feeding that it'd be better, then moving it into the larger tank with the betta?
But I was planning on buying a 5.5 gallon tank and it'll most definitely have hiding places.

Looks like I'm going to have to begin designing the new tank and doing a bit more research on plants and what not. :3
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
Sprinkles55

My only recommendation for ADFs is do not put them with red finned CTs. I had my adfs try to bite my betta's fins off because they thought it was a bunch of bloodworms. Ever since then they were separated. :( a 5.5g would be a great tank for just one adf with your betta. :)
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote