Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #501 
nattiejeanne

Water Changes Question

I'm wondering how often I should do water changes in my 2.5 gallon tank? I've read it's hard to cycle a tank that small. Should I do 100% changes or 50% changes? I have a filter, and of course (since I'm on this forum) I have a baby betta I got from Petco. I've read a few conflicting things on whether to do 100% changes, or 50% changes.... Please let me know!
nattiejeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #502 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattiejeanne View Post
I'm wondering how often I should do water changes in my 2.5 gallon tank? I've read it's hard to cycle a tank that small. Should I do 100% changes or 50% changes? I have a filter, and of course (since I'm on this forum) I have a baby betta I got from Petco. I've read a few conflicting things on whether to do 100% changes, or 50% changes.... Please let me know!
for 2.5g you should be doing both a 100% and a 50% while siphoning the gravel. You really dont need a filter in a tank that size since it is hard to cycle. Since it is a baby betta, you might want to do more changes since they are more sensitive to the ammonia levels.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #503 
Krys

I miss my baby Betta. He caught something and ended up passing away. I miss having a baby around the house... xD lmao.

Next time i got to petco, I'll pick one up. What i really like about the babies is that they're like a mystery Betta. A grab bag Betta. You don't know what you're getting and that's part of the fun. Also... they are cheaper. Which is nice for us budget betta-fans. And hey, it's a mystery Betta, you might get a really cool color/fin type at a huge discount. :)
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #504 
Mandy Pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
I miss my baby Betta. He caught something and ended up passing away. I miss having a baby around the house... xD lmao.

Next time i got to petco, I'll pick one up. What i really like about the babies is that they're like a mystery Betta. A grab bag Betta. You don't know what you're getting and that's part of the fun. Also... they are cheaper. Which is nice for us budget betta-fans. And hey, it's a mystery Betta, you might get a really cool color/fin type at a huge discount. :)
Yeah, imagine getting an EE or a King baby. That would be a HUGE discount!
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #505 
jessp118

here is my baby all grown up
Attached Images

jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #506 
graciecny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Sorry for your loss gracie :( Fungus I think lives in almost every aquarium but usually the fish can fight back an infection as long as they have no injuries and a healthy immune system. Its possible your baby injured her fin, giving the fungus a vantage point.
The more I reflect on this (and watch the other fish in the tank thrive - they're doing great!) the more I think it was just her being stressed and that damage to her fin making her susceptible to the fungus.

My plan is to do it right this time - good-sized tank first, get it up and running, then go get another fish who will have a nice big home to live in. Whether I get another baby or an adult remains to be seen. Either way, having a betta living in one of those breeders, even temporarily, if out.

And Krys, I'm really sorry about your betta. Those little fish really work their way into your heart. They have personality!
graciecny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #507 
babybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Pandy View Post
I talked to the manager at mine said it should only be a vail tail, double tail, or crown tail. I picked mine out of a bunch that had double or what looked like the starts of crown tails. mine I hope is nither I tryed to pick a happy healthy vail tail over a week later and its doing well at least
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #508 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Pandy View Post
The breeders know what to expect from spawns so they probably wouldn't take babies from a King or EE spawn knowing the chances of making a better profit. It would be really awesome though! Also I think most are females because you can usually sell males for more and they are easier to identify them as male when they're that age. They usually will have longer fins and more color even at 5 weeks old. And when they are of the same spawn females and males are easier to identify because they're swimming amongst each other and you can compare. I'm kinda of just guessing but it sounds about right...they'll always go for the most money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciecny View Post
The more I reflect on this (and watch the other fish in the tank thrive - they're doing great!) the more I think it was just her being stressed and that damage to her fin making her susceptible to the fungus.

My plan is to do it right this time - good-sized tank first, get it up and running, then go get another fish who will have a nice big home to live in. Whether I get another baby or an adult remains to be seen. Either way, having a betta living in one of those breeders, even temporarily, if out.

And Krys, I'm really sorry about your betta. Those little fish really work their way into your heart. They have personality!
Glad you're getting another betta! Get a cute one!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #509 
aemaki09

I can't hold off the urge anymore! I'm going to be near a petco tomorrow an will probably end up buying another baby betta, if there are any that aren't VT and any that look male. I'm so excited!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #510 
Krys

Female or male, any tail type, they're lovely. I don't care what it looks like, they're all cute.

btw, has anyone noticed if their females seems to have more personality than the males? Every female i've ever had has always seemed to have more personality to them. And they seem smarter. My males usually pay no mind to me unless i go to feed them. but my females have always watched me or played with me by either chasing my finger against the side of the tank, or even playing with ping pong balls on the surface.

Rin always flares at me too when i put my finger on the glass and chases it, and constantly watches me when i'm at my desk. (Her tank is on my desk)
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta